• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1963 ES-335, your thoughts?

fakejake

The 3 '63s I tried recently had very slim necks, not to my taste. Late '63 should be similar to 64, which is a lot beefier.

Melodyman

Not sure they came with chrome PU covers in 63..The bridge one seems like its chrome while the neck looks more like nickel but still seems too shiny for its age..Neither seem worn as much as the guitar is. But who knows?

poor man's burst

Pickup covers look very much like later chrome plated ones. One of the solder joint on the bridge pickup looks faulty.
Besides that, the seller claims "frets are in very good shape with plenty of meat left", not even mentioning the guitar has been refretted.

aside

Yeah it's hard to know if seller's are unaware or just lying.

Not a deal breaker if the pickup covers have been changed, it's what's underneath that concerns me.

I'm not great with identifying untouched solder. In this case it's better if it all is touched - at least then the pickups could be original.

And yep, no mention of the refret.

marshall1987

Aside from it being vastly overpriced. $$:hmm....it looks like a nice guitar. I would buy it at the right price. :)

Echo what others' have pointed out above.

The seller needs to explain the chrome pickup covers ( & evidence of bridge P/U having been opened). The covers should be nickel. If the bridge pickup cover has been previously opened, I would have the seller post a photo of the innards. I would also want to know the dc resistance of the pickups. The dcr values can sometimes be useful in determining the approximate period of manufacture.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility the original 1963 Pat. No., and/or PAF pickup(s), have been scavenged.... and replaced with much less valuable mid-late '60s, chrome-covered, Pat. No's with poly-insulated coil wire. If this is the case, a buyer would expect a sizable price reduction... in the amount of -$2,000, or more. :dang

To be safe, I would also have the seller check the date code on at least one potentiometer, and the condition of solder joints...easily done with a dental mirror or boroscope.

Lastly, if I were a buyer, I would tell the seller he can keep the unwieldy Anvil road case...... Instead, I would have him provide a suitable hardshell ES-335 guitar case.

Assuming the pickups have been changed out for later chrome-covered Pat. No's,.... in the U.S., this would be a $12,500 to $14,000 guitar.

Last edited:
I played an amazing 1963 335 for sale right now by Street Legal Guitars. One of the best necks I've ever laid hands on. Big, chunky profile, but not basebat or boat-like, just felt absolutely perfect. For reference I own a 1964 ES-345 and it's also a wonderful profile. If pushed to choose, the 335 at SLG might have won out. Guitar was also super clean too.

Icandrive55

With no mention of the frets, pickup covers, or a picture of the wiring harness.. my bet is they're lying. Besides tuners, what else is ever not original? I've come across sellers like this and they all sound the same. Proceed with caution if you gotta have it.

thcguitars

I see some buggery on the neck joint, but no photo from treble side of neck joint, I think maybe they replaced the stop tailpiece, it seems more yellow- maybe the bridge pickup cover, it's definitely been off, but the 2737 serial no. is right. I'd want to look at the neck j first. Then I would take that money and buy a new pair of socks for 150,000 homeless people.

thcguitars

I see some buggery on the neck joint, but no photo from treble side of neck joint, I think maybe they replaced the stop tailpiece, it seems more yellow- maybe the bridge pickup cover, it's definitely been off, but the 2737 serial no. is right. I'd want to look at the neck j first. Then I would take that money and buy a new pair of socks for 150,000 homeless people.

reddeluxe

Above posters have given you great advice/guidance. (1) Guitar has definitely been refretted. (2) Pickup covers have been changed to later chrome plated versions instead of nickel....and there is a strong possibility the pickups themselves have been swapped. (3) String nut on headstock looks as if it may nave been replaced, but hard to tell in photos. (4) Overpriced, even considering the US/AUS dollar exchange rate discrepancy. (5) No original case. The '63 typical neck profile is not as shallow (blade style) as '61/early '62, but is still not as thick as the very desirable '64 (Clapton's) with the exception of the last couple months transitioning into 1964. All of those years have the 1 11/16" wide nut width. Without much better documentation and perhaps an independent 3rd party appraisal, let the buyer beware.