• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help me find my grandfathers old Gibson 335!

liams2230

I've posted something like this before on here and I'd like to do it again. My grandfather has had a pretty rough time this year, had bladder cancer at 78 and beat it, and had open heart with almost all main arteries blocked. He made it and hasn't really changed! Still plays guitar everyday. Anyways, he used to have a 1960 ES-335 we think, with a sideways vibrola. It was bought at Hauer Music in Dayton, Ohio in the summer of 1960. His other guitar he traded in was a 1954 or so stratocaster that he got for Christmas of 57. In the mid 1960s he was at a gig and the case was stolen in a coat rack, luckily the guitar was on stage with him. So the original case is not there but it should be a 60s case. I'm wanting to find this guitar to see where it is today, I have no serial number at all. Just pictures and it was dropped one night at a gig and there is s nik where the neck meets the headstock, that's it. Please help me on this hunt!

jyiwB6Y.jpg
4nak11o.jpg
enFoKB2.jpg
GSeB288.jpg
X3y9SRw.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Ooof, anything could happen. Might be better off looking for the mounting hole pattern of the vibrola on '60's that are out there unless by some chance it was left as is.

Good luck!

crashbelt

Good luck. If its not a trick of the light in the last picture it looks bursted on the sides which would make it Argentine Grey which could help your search?

liams2230

Good luck. If its not a trick of the light in the last picture it looks bursted on the sides which would make it Argentine Grey which could help your search?

That's what I thought it was..But from people online they say it was a regular sunburst. I think it's argentine grey.

crashbelt

It would be worth asking Charlie Gelber at OK guitars, who has seen and owned more golden era 3**s than anyone and is always happy to talk about things.

My only other observation from your great pics is that if its a 60, its early rather than later in the year as it has the long guard and pre-reflector knobs, as does the great 60 355 I got from Charlie last year.

garywright

It would be worth asking Charlie Gelber at OK guitars, who has seen and owned more golden era 3**s than anyone and is always happy to talk about things.

Gil Southworth would hold that title and would be worth contacting.

crashbelt

Gil Southworth would hold that title and would be worth contacting.
Wouldn't want to pronounce on that debate, but I suspect I know where the OP's inquiry might be more courteously received:laugh2:.

garywright

fwiw, I do recall seeing one for sale years back ..it may have been in one of Gruhn’s subscription booklets or Guitar Traders

liams2230

fwiw, I do recall seeing one for sale years back ..it may have been in one of Gruhn’s subscription booklets or Guitar Traders

Funny you should say that. My grandpa went there around 2000 and said he still "had" it and wanted to know what it was worth. He pulled out a huge book filled with Gibson pictures and he points to the exact guitar my grandpa said. Weird. Do you think that they'll send a picture of that?