• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Solder quality from factory

alamogeorge

I recently inherited a 2011 Gibson LP Studio Pro from the original owner who hardly played it and definitely did not do any work to it or have anyone else do any work to it. I was shocked at the solder quality when I opened the covers. I have soldered for a living as an avionics tech since Reagan was President so I'm used to not being impressed by solder jobs but these are really bad. I wouldn't expect this from a hobbyist or a sweatshop worker in Malaysia, much less from the USA factory of one of the top guitar makers in the world. I still love it but interested in knowing if this quality is the exception or the rule.

RDzvih.jpg

rick c

I agree. Most guitar techie YouTube videos are no better, often far worse; makes your picture look really good. Really bad and messy, cold-soldered joints at pots are common. You are coming from a different level (universe) of electronics!

fred dons

I have seen worse, much worse in guitars ( I have seen better and I would love to say that it was the majority but really I can't )

somebodyelseuk

Agree with all the above. In my experience, Fender style guitars seem to fare better, but I guess the qualified guys tend to be electricians, not guitar builders.

J.D.

That's how they do them. Might not meet your aviation standards but works just fine on a guitar.

AA00475Bassman

Looks fine to me , I don't believe many here would be willing to pay for aviation standards .

garywright

is that really stock with the wires protruding on the center lugs of the volume pots

PaulD

Surely a 2011 would have had a PCB? I would suspect that is not the original wiring.

alamogeorge

That's how they do them. Might not meet your aviation standards but works just fine on a guitar.

It's not an aviation standard. It's general soldering principles that you can learn after a 5 minute YouTube video.

alamogeorge

Surely a 2011 would have had a PCB? I would suspect that is not the original wiring.

It's original. Confirmed with previous owner. He got the guitar new from MF, played it one time, and put it away. You would like to think that it wouldn't be but it seems that they really cut corners on the Studio Pro.

TM1

Nothing worse than bad solder! Problem today is most of the solder used is water based or some other crap to meet “safety regulations” for air quality. Gimme good old rosin based solder, which is becoming harder to find..

thin sissy

Nothing worse than bad solder! Problem today is most of the solder used is water based or some other crap to meet “safety regulations” for air quality. Gimme good old rosin based solder, which is becoming harder to find..
Yup, lead based solder is incredibly hard to get these days. Unfortunately the silver based solder isn't a good replacement yet.

El Gringo

I have never had a problem with any solder joints that came factory from Fender or Gibson . Anyways see what happens when we peak inside of places we should leave alone .

AA00475Bassman

wAf6pa6.jpg
[/IMG]
These guys knew a thing or two about solder ! My stash !

toxpert

Yuup...
One of the weaknesses with rosin core solder is oxidation on the outside and the inside (core) of the solder. Old solder will oxidize on outside and inside. The outer surface will oxidize from shiny to dull gray. The inner core can oxidize as well. Rosin is a general term for a broad range of chemical compositions used over the years. Rosin can be gum rosin from pine trees, or wood rosin from tree stumps, or tall oil rosin that is a by product from paper manufacturing. Then factor in additives.

The rosin is there to scavenge oxides when soldering...that helps to chemically bond the pieces together. If you are using old solder that is oxidized outside and inside...the solder will flow slowly and the join may be hard to work. Think of re-flowing really old solder joins without adding new solder/flux...it just gets messy because of the oxides and the old rosin flux is long gone for function. Everything looks crumbly and gray.

If you have solder wire that has turned gray...burnish it to remove the outside oxidized layer. Try making a test join to see if the rosin core has the chemical strength to evenly flow. If it works...’maybe’ you’ll be OK. My humble experience with an old, dull gray, spool of solder I had for 30+ years...it would not even wet the clean tip of the soldering iron....I could not use it.

Best advice...if you have old solder wire: looks gray (oxidized)...recycle it as electronic waste and buy a new spool. Amazon has all kinds of options to buy 60/40 rosin core solder that you can buy every day.

AA00475Bassman

Thank you guys , I have a extensive back ground with oxidized materials similar and dissimilar joining believe me I don't struggle with the task .

Last edited: