• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to protect wood of a LP Custom without refinishing? (first post)

parrottsquawk

Hi folks,

I am the original owner of a 2005 custom-shop reissue of the 1957 black beauty with nitrocellulose lacquer that has gotten worn down to the wood in several places.

This is in the belt buckle area, pick-arm area, low e-string area as well as a whole bunch of dings, bumps, and scratches from gigging, practicing, and a younger version of myself being careless with an instrument that I now care a lot more for.

I do not want to refinish the guitar because each of those bumps and dings has a story, but I DO want to protect the bare wood so that it will not rot. I've read that putting wax or oil on the guitar will mess it up if someone (like one of my kids after I pass on) ever does want to refinish the guitar.

The wear is similar to what is in this picture, but not exactly (due to Mr. Hetfield having a different playing style than me).

38740237-metallicajamesironcross.jpg

Again, I don't want to refinish it, but I do want to protect the wood. Any ideas on how to do that without making it tough for a future luthier to refinish?

Thanks in advance!

(pictures on imgur at https://imgur.com/a/oTKFkVN)

parrottsquawk

*Actual pictures below*:

Front of Body 1
zG6UK5U.jpg

Front of Body 2
femC1BR.jpg

Front of Body 3 (finish dent)
z2JvyDD.jpg

Back of Body
GX2Ajb2.jpg

Control Cavity
u2UH8yT.jpg

Front of Headstock
NJMWK9M.jpg

Back of Headstock
MTA9xE9.jpg

Neck Joint 1
pluRUZe.jpg.jpg

Neck Joint 2
w9f6t70.jpg

brandtkronholm

The exposed wood will be fine for many decades to come. There really isn't any need to do anything about it. The oils from your arm where it's been sanded down will eventually provide protection for centuries to come.

BUT, you could do some clear overspray if you really wanted to.

Cool guitar - and welcome!

parrottsquawk

Whew, that's a relief! I thought as much, but after lurking in this forum for a year or so, I thought I would finally ask the experts. :peace2

I was about to do a graduating sandpaper to Meguiars polish job to help with the scratches, but at this point, that might be futile.

The exposed wood will be fine for many decades to come. There really isn't any need to do anything about it. The oils from your arm where it's been sanded down will eventually provide protection for centuries to come.

BUT, you could do some clear overspray if you really wanted to.

Cool guitar - and welcome!

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
As long as you keep it out if the rain you have nothing to worry about there.

Don

This doesn't answer your question and it's unsolicited, but that guitar looks like rock 'n roll. I'd leave it like it is.

parrottsquawk

Yeah I love the way it looks, the Strat plus I got in second grade got a lot worse abuse, but the poly finish just has some cracks from me dropping it a few times and fret wear on the rosewood fingerboard (I even set it on fire for my senior pics) :bigal

My playing style definitely broke in the LP pretty quickly, comparatively speaking :dang. The pups are out because I’m replacing the pots, caps, and one of the pups with the ‘57 classic I had put in the neck of my Strat when I was in high school. Might still polish out some of those scratches though. My dad has all of his Gibson guitars from the 60s (355s, country gentleman, etc.) and 70s and none even have a hair scratch on them. :##

MacFangus

1. That 1973 LP Custom was suppose to be mine! Okay... not supposed to be, but I did tell the dealer to hold it for me, until I got back from the bank. While I was gone, he sold it to James Hetfield via online purchase. I was pissed, but not nearly as pissed when I say what that a**hat did to it! Sanded the finish to faux wear, racing stripe and a cross? F***ing idiot!

2. Wipe the bare area with boiled linseed oil, and let it dry... Good to go!

parrottsquawk

Thanks for the tip!

I got a few more dings on the back re-soldering everything in when the solder spattered everywhere. When I finished polishing it, a little more of the finish had come off, so I'm just going to keep the treatments light from now on... :dang

Pip

Folks pay good money for a finish like that - it’s fine and rock it hard.