• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burstbucker 61 vs Slash Alnico II Pro?

digitaljackson

New owner of a 2020 Les Paul 60s standard with the 61 pickup set. I also bought a set of Slash Alnico II Pro pickups with the intention to replace the 61 set, but find I'm really liking the 61s so far (playing through a Marshall DSL 40CR). Has anyone done a swap of 61 set to Slash set and can offer a comparison between the two? My concern is the Slash set might not be as versatile as the 61 set. I like to play a lot of different types of music and the 61s sound great even with high gain... not sure if the Slash set will do the same.

jrgtr42

If you like the sound as it is, then why change?
Which connecters does your guitar have in the back? Some are easier to swap pickups in and out than others.
Personally, if it's the circuit board connections, I would dump it in favor of traditional pots and caps and so forth. That in itself will open out the sound.

digitaljackson

My original intention was to buy a 2020 Slash signature Les Paul. I studied up on them, listened to sound samples, but ultimately felt the 50's style neck would be too thick. I think going with the 60's standard with the slim taper neck was the right choice for me. I ordered the Slash pickup set assuming I would not like the 61 burstbuckers in the 60's Standard and would want to immediately change them, but pleasantly surprised. However, the Slash pickup set is sitting on the guitar workbench... beckoning me to give them a shot.

Wiring for the 2020 standard is hand wired with audio taper potentiometers and orange drop capacitors. I haven't opened the back plate yet, but don't think it has circuit board connections.

grimlyflick

No PCB n a 2020 standard, if you really like the tones I’d leave as if for now.
:salude

digitaljackson

Leaving it as is - sound advice, but I really had to try the Slash set since I already had them. Installed and used them for about 2 weeks. I really like the neck pickup and it's going to stay in the guitar, but as I feared, the bridge pickup doesn't really do well when pushing high gain... tends to break up and sound fizzy to me. However, I did find a bridge pickup I really like. I replaced the Slash bridge with a Seymour Duncan 59/custom hybrid which seems to be a very versatile pickup... sounds great clean as well as tearing it up with high gain.

mojodelic

I did replace the 61s with Slashbuckers in my Bourbon Burst Std; not that I'm a huge Slash fan but the 61s were just too harsh with my rig. I wanted to leave them in there, but after lowering them to the point of losing note definition I still felt they were harsh hence the Alnico IIs.

Sweet Child 'O Mine is on the setlist so it seemed logical but I kept the original pups just in case.