• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Lukas Nelson Sig Junior

jrgtr42

Has anyone heard anything about these?
I just saw a Q&A off the Gibson FB page with him, talking about his new Signature Junior.
Based off his original 1956.
Looks to be a pretty reasonable price too - around $1600.

I still wish they'd release a Tribute series singlecut / single PU Junior, at around $700 or so...

thin sissy

Not loving that finish, but it's always nice to see SC Juniors at reasonable prices :)

BTW, it looks to me like they have the "pre 57" pickup location (which is logical since the old ´56 in the back has the pickup close to the bridge). Have modern day Gibson made P-90 wraptail guitars with this location before?

AA00475Bassman

Not loving that finish, but it's always nice to see SC Juniors at reasonable prices :)

BTW, it looks to me like they have the "pre 57" pickup location (which is logical since the old ´56 in the back has the pickup close to the bridge). Have modern day Gibson made P-90 wraptail guitars with this location before?
My 2018 Banner Jr
LDEjPs5.jpg
[/IMG]

jrgtr42

Yeah, I'm not 100% on the finish - though I'd really have to see one in person to judge.
I wonder if some time with a buffing wheel would shine it up.
Other than that, I really like it - I got to play a real '56 ages back, (through a '57 5E3 Deluxe,) and it's still the epitome of tone to this day.
I'd want to play it next to one with the "post-57" pickup location, just to see how they differ - guessing this will be slightly brighter, being that much closer to the bridge.
But the fact that Gibson is putting out a sig model guitar for under $3000 (closer to half that...) is a step in the right direction - not everyone can afford a CS guitar...

Garincha

They have a proper SC Junior with the proper finish in their "Original Collection" which was one of the big news in 2019. That is pretty much the same guitar but with a gloss-finish and different tuners and buttons. The PU placement is also the same as shown.

The Junior from the Original Collection goes for 1.499

I bought one in 2019 and it is a fucking good guitar. Very close to the CS version. I put a Throwback in and changed the tuners to a vintage bushing variant and the bridge and studs to Faber. Now that sucker rivals each Junior I ever played, including some vintage ones. I have no doubt that this Luke Nelson Sig is just as good, as it basically is the same guitat.

StSpider

They have a proper SC Junior with the proper finish in their "Original Collection" which was one of the big news in 2019. That is pretty much the same guitar but with a gloss-finish and different tuners and buttons. The PU placement is also the same as shown.

The Junior from the Original Collection goes for 1.499

I bought one in 2019 and it is a fucking good guitar. Very close to the CS version. I put a Throwback in and changed the tuners to a vintage bushing variant and the bridge and studs to Faber. Now that sucker rivals each Junior I ever played, including some vintage ones. I have no doubt that this Luke Nelson Sig is just as good, as it basically is the same guitat.

Sorry if the thread's a bit old but the Nelson sig is interesting to me. Not so much because of the finish, but supposedly the neck is pretty fat. I doubt the OC version has a neck thick as this one. Can anyone comment on this?

jrgtr42

Sorry if the thread's a bit old but the Nelson sig is interesting to me. Not so much because of the finish, but supposedly the neck is pretty fat. I doubt the OC version has a neck thick as this one. Can anyone comment on this?

Per the Gibson website, they both have the Vintage '50s neck. However, having played original ones versus more modern "50's neck" they are usually different - originals especially mid 50's tended to be huge. 58 was a bit thinner, 50 thinner still, until you get to the 60s style, later called slim taper. |That said, I want to play each of them side by side to see how they both feel.