• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

swirl scratches

Dimitris.K

I recently bought a brand new lp with nitro finish,i have been playing at home all of a sudden i noticed many swirl scratches( i have been using a new microfiber cloth to remove the sweat before putting the guitar back in the case) so i talked with my guitar technician about it and he told me that nitro is very sensitive and i cant avoid having those scratches.I read here that a good product for that is meguiars swirl remover 2.0 .So i need some tips on that matter....should i apply the product once a year to keep the guitar looks fresh?..am i overreacting on something that it will inevitably happen or am i doing something wrong??I am asking because i had other guitars and i didn't have that problem so fast!Thanks in advance!!

Señor Verde

I've used Meguiars 2.0 on a friend's guitar before and it worked well. For polishing a guitar, I also use 100% cotton flannel fabric. The fabric store I get it from calls it baby pajama fabric, or something like that. Using that fabric and Dunlop 65 I haven't noticed any swirl marks on my guitars.

Dimitris.K

I've used Meguiars 2.0 on a friend's guitar before and it worked well. For polishing a guitar, I also use 100% cotton flannel fabric. The fabric store I get it from calls it baby pajama fabric, or something like that. Using that fabric and Dunlop 65 I haven't noticed any swirl marks on my guitars.
Thank you very much for your tips!!Sadly Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 is not available in Greece,i found Meguiars Swirl Remover #G17616 but i am not sure if it's safe so i wont risk using it!Cotton fabric is a great idea i will go for it,i'm gonna use it with gibsons care kit polish.

TM1

I got a new Custom Shop ES-335TDC a couple months ago. I cleaned that awful VOS shit off of it and found a number of swirl marks and scratches under the gunk..
I used Novus #2 plastic polish to remove the scratches. This is the stuff they use to polish jet fighter cockpit windscreens. I’ve used it for 25 years on guitars.

TM1

I recently bought a brand new lp with nitro finish,i have been playing at home all of a sudden i noticed many swirl scratches( i have been using a new microfiber cloth to remove the sweat before putting the guitar back in the case) so i talked with my guitar technician about it and he told me that nitro is very sensitive and i cant avoid having those scratches.I read here that a good product for that is meguiars swirl remover 2.0 .So i need some tips on that matter....should i apply the product once a year to keep the guitar looks fresh?..am i overreacting on something that it will inevitably happen or am i doing something wrong??I am asking because i had other guitars and i didn't have that problem so fast!Thanks in advance!!
Dimitris; All Gibson’s are finished in Nitrocellulose Lacquer!

El Gringo

Yassou Dimitri ti kaneis ? Pos einai e Patrida mas ? Polli zesti torah stin Athena ?

Dimitris.K

Yassou Dimitri ti kaneis ? Pos einai e Patrida mas ? Polli zesti torah stin Athena ?
Yasou file mou!!Kala einai h patrida,fetos eftyxws den eixame ypervoliki zesth...htan arketa hpio to klima!!Na eisai kala & xairetismta apo tin Athina :)

Dimitris.K

i would like to thank everyone for the info!!i have already ordered meguiars swirl remover 2.0 from amazon,i will give you feedback when i apply it on the guitar and see the results.:peace2

Dimitris.K

It has been a while...i hope everyone is fine! I have changed my mind, i received the product but i won't use it because its my main guitar and i play her a lot so there's no point doing that! Hope she ages nicely , i keep the relative humidity in the room steady(45%-50%) so i guess everything will be ok!!I wish you all good health and creativity!!cheers!

rick c

Dimitris: Your environment may be part of the problem If there is construction work going on nearby or you are close to a beach, or another source of airborne sand, then the "dust" that gathers on your equipment may be very abrasive. If this is the case, either keep your guitar in its case or throw a small sheet over it when it's on its stand.