The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

Thread: swirl scratches

Les Paul Forum Member Dimitris.K's Avatar

swirl scratches

I recently bought a brand new lp with nitro finish,i have been playing at home all of a sudden i noticed many swirl scratches( i have been using a new microfiber cloth to remove the sweat before putting the guitar back in the case) so i talked with my guitar technician about it and he told me that nitro is very sensitive and i cant avoid having those scratches.I read here that a good product for that is meguiars swirl remover 2.0 .So i need some tips on that matter....should i apply the product once a year to keep the guitar looks fresh?..am i overreacting on something that it will inevitably happen or am i doing something wrong??I am asking because i had other guitars and i didn't have that problem so fast!Thanks in advance!!

Re: swirl scratches

I've used Meguiars 2.0 on a friend's guitar before and it worked well. For polishing a guitar, I also use 100% cotton flannel fabric. The fabric store I get it from calls it baby pajama fabric, or something like that. Using that fabric and Dunlop 65 I haven't noticed any swirl marks on my guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Verde View Post
    I've used Meguiars 2.0 on a friend's guitar before and it worked well. For polishing a guitar, I also use 100% cotton flannel fabric. The fabric store I get it from calls it baby pajama fabric, or something like that. Using that fabric and Dunlop 65 I haven't noticed any swirl marks on my guitars.
    Thank you very much for your tips!!Sadly Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 is not available in Greece,i found Meguiars Swirl Remover #G17616 but i am not sure if it's safe so i wont risk using it!Cotton fabric is a great idea i will go for it,i'm gonna use it with gibsons care kit polish.

I have found 3M Finesse-It ll with a foam finishing pad does the best job.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I got a new Custom Shop ES-335TDC a couple months ago. I cleaned that awful VOS shit off of it and found a number of swirl marks and scratches under the gunk..
    I used Novus #2 plastic polish to remove the scratches. This is the stuff they use to polish jet fighter cockpit windscreens. I’ve used it for 25 years on guitars.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitris.K View Post
    I recently bought a brand new lp with nitro finish,i have been playing at home all of a sudden i noticed many swirl scratches( i have been using a new microfiber cloth to remove the sweat before putting the guitar back in the case) so i talked with my guitar technician about it and he told me that nitro is very sensitive and i cant avoid having those scratches.I read here that a good product for that is meguiars swirl remover 2.0 .So i need some tips on that matter....should i apply the product once a year to keep the guitar looks fresh?..am i overreacting on something that it will inevitably happen or am i doing something wrong??I am asking because i had other guitars and i didn't have that problem so fast!Thanks in advance!!
    Dimitris; All Gibson’s are finished in Nitrocellulose Lacquer!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitris.K View Post
    Yassou Dimitri ti kaneis ? Pos einai e Patrida mas ? Polli zesti torah stin Athena ?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Yassou Dimitri ti kaneis ? Pos einai e Patrida mas ? Polli zesti torah stin Athena ?
    Yasou file mou!!Kala einai h patrida,fetos eftyxws den eixame ypervoliki zesth...htan arketa hpio to klima!!Na eisai kala & xairetismta apo tin Athina

i would like to thank everyone for the info!!i have already ordered meguiars swirl remover 2.0 from amazon,i will give you feedback when i apply it on the guitar and see the results.