• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Guitar Day ('59 Jnr content)

King Loudness

Hey everyone here on LPF!

I'm a long-time lurker but infrequent poster -- quick intro, my name is Will and I'm a 25 year old guitarist from Eastern Canada. After many eons of time... I got my dream guitar and I thought I'd share it here:

EDIT: Yikes, I didn't realize the photos were going to be so big... alas. Hope you enjoy, regardless :)

8pxAIE4.jpg

QAiF8lb.jpg

YzYWBxA.jpg

(here's a clip recorded a few months ago, when I had the guitar on loan for a few days)

New Guitar Day -- played and well loved '59 Jnr, SN 923xxx. Here in Canada where I am, out east, good vintage guitars really aren't that common. A good buddy of mine bought this locally two years ago and was very gracious enough to sell it to me a few days ago. I have been actively looking for several months, and sold several nice guitars (including a refin '63 SG Standard, '74 LP Custom 20th anni with a neck repair, a couple 2019 Gibsons, and more in between) to help facilitate it. I've wanted an old Junior since seeing Johnny Thunders play one on a TV programme when I was 7. I have had tonnes of reissues and good copies like Collings etc, but once I played this '59, I knew there was only one way to go. The guitar is all original as far as I know, except for a Mojoaxe bridge. I'm in love with it. Been reading through the forum lately with my ax in hand and a cup of tea in the other -- good times!

W.

J.D.

Congrats. Cherry '59 Jr is an iconic guitar.

thin sissy

Awesome guitar and sweet playing man, congrats! :yah

Frets look nice and big, are they the original ones?

King Loudness

Here is a clip of it in action. I recorded the rhythm guitars with my Historic '57 goldtop LP, and the lead is the '59 Junior.

RE: Thin Sissy -- the frets look to be original, there is a small amount of playing wear on them but no major dents or divots. If it's had a refret, it was done many years ago and cleanly if so.

W.

BurstWurst

Had a 59 TV DC years ago. Currently have a cherry 60 that blows me away every time I play her. Your new 59 sounds and looks great. And, the great chops don't hurt either. Congrats! Enjoy that fine guitar.

King Loudness

Had a 59 TV DC years ago. Currently have a cherry 60 that blows me away every time I play her. Your new 59 sounds and looks great. And, the great chops don't hurt either. Congrats! Enjoy that fine guitar.

Thanks! The late 50s TV ones are my favourite -- I saw Johnny Thunders on TV playing one as a kid and I was hooked. The cherry ones are awesome, especially (to me) when they're all faded to natural mahogany. Any pics of your '60? Thanks for the kind words!

W.

King Loudness

A couple more clips with this beauty. Most of my spare time is spent on the LPF, guitar in hand :peace2

W.

brandtkronholm

Nice playing! Fun times with a great and simple vintage Gibson!

Please describe the neck for us. In my experience the '59 necks span the gamut from fat-n-round to chunky-hard-V to the smooth shallow-C -ifyouknowwhatImean. How does the neck compare with your reissue Gibsons? How does the playability and action compare to your reissues?

Enjoy the honeymoon, may it last forever!

Last edited:

King Loudness

Nice playing! Fun times with a great and simple vintage Gibson!

Please describe the neck for us. In my experience the '59 necks span the gamut from fat-n-round to chunky-hard-V to the smooth shallow-C -ifyouknowwhatImean. How does the neck compare with your reissue Gibsons? How does the playability and action compare to your reissues?

Enjoy the honeymoon, may it last forever!

Hi, unfortunately my calipers are out of batteries, but I'll do my best to compare and contrast the three Gibsons with "50s" style necks that I have here. The other two points of comparison are a '57 RI Historic that came through Mark's Guitar Loft and has a smaller than usual (for that model) neck profile, as well as a Rusty Anderson 335.

The '59 Jnr is the largest/roundest of the 3, even at the 1st fret. I would call it a "C" neck profile. Definitely closer to the baseball bat type feel, especially compared to Gibsons I've owned recently that have the rounded '60s neck. By comparison, the '57 RI LP is similarly round, but not as large/with less shoulder perhaps, and the 335 has the larger girth of the '59, but a bit more of a "D" profile neck with a different feel to the shoulder. They all play very well with a low action. My Jnr has a Mojoaxe tailpiece and so far the action and intonation are very acceptable. In fact, I actually raised the action slightly on the first string change. There is no major buzzing or anything although the bridge and studs sit up a little higher than I am used to so my right hand is raised a bit. I'm really enjoying the guitar, the neck is well broken in but the frets have lots of life so it's really the best of all worlds in regard to the playability.

W.

brandtkronholm

I think I understand your description of the neck on the Jr.! Maybe "round-n-chunky but fast?" :salude

(Neck measurements done with calipers are completely lost on me...)

King Loudness

I think I understand your description of the neck on the Jr.! Maybe "round-n-chunky but fast?" :salude

(Neck measurements done with calipers are completely lost on me...)

It's definitely the largest neck profile of any Gibson I've played in the last while (not that I've played any but my own in the last few months... no trips to the shop since March!) It's very round and C shaped. I find the neck profile quite comfy even though it's noticeably bigger than the reissues I've owned.

W.

BSeneca

Here is a clip of it in action. I recorded the rhythm guitars with my Historic '57 goldtop LP, and the lead is the '59 Junior.

RE: Thin Sissy -- the frets look to be original, there is a small amount of playing wear on them but no major dents or divots. If it's had a refret, it was done many years ago and cleanly if so.

W.
My 58 Jr has larger frets from previous owner. My 1952 Goldtop is getting bigger frets as we speak. My Goldtop is player grade because of headstock break otherwise all stock. I am a player not a collector. Looks like you are as well. REFRET it! It makes a world of difference. Congratulations and enjoy

thin sissy

My 58 Jr has larger frets from previous owner. My 1952 Goldtop is getting bigger frets as we speak. My Goldtop is player grade because of headstock break otherwise all stock. I am a player not a collector. Looks like you are as well. REFRET it! It makes a world of difference. Congratulations and enjoy
I wasn't being critical if it was a refret, I have 2 50's LP's which are both refretted :salude I was just trying to educate myself on frets on 59 Jr's. BTW, it doesn't sound like KL is in need of a refret at this point anyway?

King Loudness

I wasn't being critical if it was a refret, I have 2 50's LP's which are both refretted :salude I was just trying to educate myself on frets on 59 Jr's. BTW, it doesn't sound like KL is in need of a refret at this point anyway?

The frets are good on mine. Only very light playing wear. I've got a light touch so they'll last a while before I need to do any maintenance. I have no issues with a refretted guitar either, but luckily this one doesn't need it.

W.