• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Maple plywood for les paul top

chocochico

Hi everyone, I don't know if someone can help me here, but i'm building an LP patterned guitar, and while browsing wood i came across a piece of maple plywood which just struck me as being so beautiful. I have never been a fan of book matched tops as they don't line up one million percent and my stupidity makes that a real problem:rolleyes. Anyway, I had the thougt that this 1/4 ply could work, however I'm not sure how.

Have any of you ever used plywood for a maple top? in place of 7/4?

My idea was
1. use my maple scraps and laminate them to make a body
2. shape the body, rout the pickup cavities and electronics, and then finally chisel out the top to dimensions
3. put glue on the top and clamp the ply to the top.

But I don't think 3. will work, as I'm not sure, but i don't think the ply wood can evenly conform to the dips and valleys of the LP top... I don't know though, as i rarely work with plywood.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of this? Or maybe I just need to scrap the natural finish idea and go to a painted finish of somekind and use some other scraps for the body.

thanks in advanced

rick c

My guess would be that your are correct and the plywood, even if relatively thin, will not conform the contours of the LP top. You would be better trying to find a very thin Maple veneer but even this will require steaming and maybe vacuum bagging to make it conform to the top. I've never seen/read about this being done before so please post pics if you try. Alternatively you could try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogh1H_6iXVw