• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Identifying this goldtop LP or if it's even real

Paradoxx54

Found an advertisement for a LP that seemed too good to be true. There are a few photos attached. The advertisement says it's a 1992 Les Paul Standard and the serial number checks out. Unfortunately, I am only starting to get into the world of LPs and Gibsons so I am having a hard time identifying whether or not this thing is legit. The biggest thing that threw me off is the decal on the headstock seems a bit off and doesn't match with other 92 standards. As you can see, the font color is brownish instead of being white/mother or pearl and the dot for the "i" is attached the G. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

S/N: 92182520
Gibson1.jpg
Gibson2.jpgGibson4.jpg

fred dons

I would say fake, gold decal logo instead of inlaid mother of pearl logo, no binding around the neck, I cant recall having seen those tuners on a 1992 lp , the inlays look a bit to "busy" for a 1992 (they look like the ones used on the Orville Les pauls in the same period, so perhaps a reworked Orville or a whole fake

AA00475Bassman

Jake says its fake just look at the finish no binding !!!
QVxCyuH.jpg
[/IMG]

Hamerfan

Don't shoot that fast, bros!
I see uber blurry small pics and the cheap 80/90 inlays of Gibson at first glance. Why should anybody fake that crap? You really can't see small binding on blurry pics on a white background.
We need better pics to say something worth printing.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Maybe its a Studio with some tweaking.

Ebony board. No binding. Decal logo.

El Gringo

Also truss rod cover sits kind of funky as it tilts toward the treble side of the headstock , not a judgment one way or another just an observation . I would be curious to see the control cavity and if the neck pickup pulled to see what's doing with the neck tenon .

metropolis

E-mail Gibson and get them to tell you what model that serial # is supposed to be. It won't definitively tell you if this is a fake or not but it'll give you a clue.

guitplayer

Also truss rod cover sits kind of funky as it tilts toward the treble side of the headstock , not a judgment one way or another just an observation . I would be curious to see the control cavity and if the neck pickup pulled to see what's doing with the neck tenon .

1st thing