• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD: 1976 ES-335 TD

Barenik

Hallo everybody,
(and sorry for my poor english)
Here's my new catch!
A 1976 Gibson Es-335 TD.
All original, Superlightweight (3,3kg), Mahogany neck in 3pcs, C-fat shape (the first of that era I found with this dimension!), original frets, and a beautiful walnut top.
I changed the knobs because I don'tl ike the witch hat 70's knobs, but I conserve the original ones in the case.
Original wiring, it sounds like a thunder! :dude:

Do you like it?

The only things it mess is the bridge pickup cover, that'I'd like to mount on it. I found some replacement of original 70s cover on line but prices are absolutely crazy.
Can you suggest me any replacement (maybe modern also) that can fit correctly and especially look correctly (rounded corners) that I can buy for an honest price?

Thank you!

50159347652_8790b94d9d_k.jpg

50158556053_724bb029d8_h.jpg

50159108921_163a0ea5af_h.jpg

50159347737_55ac3fd67c_h.jpg

50159347817_c9f014d09d_h.jpg

50159108816_fc988cd103_h.jpg

50158555968_176d636e12_h.jpg

fakejake

Congrats! This is easily the best looking mid 70ies walnut 335s I've seen, stunning! :3zone
Have you tried black reflector knobs as well? I think they'd look even better than the gold bell ones :hmm

JimR56

Congrats! This is easily the best looking mid 70ies walnut 335s I've seen, stunning! :3zone
Have you tried black reflector knobs as well? I think they'd look even better than the gold bell ones :hmm
Just to be clear, his gold knobs are not "reflector" knobs. Those were the style that followed these in the evolution of Gibson knobs. Maybe you knew that, but the way you phrased your comment, it was unclear. Anyway, I just dislike seeing misinformation spread around (it's all too common these days). I would call his knobs gold bonnet knobs, but it's probably too late to get that horse back in the barn. :)

Anyway, I like the look of the gold on the walnut finish. Nice contrast, and classy looking. I think the black would tend to be too dark on this finish. Just my opinion though. But I agree- one of the nicest looking walnut finish Gibsons I've seen (but that said, I would disagree with referring to it as a "vintage" guitar... can't put it in the same category as a 50's or 60's 335. Vintage is not defined by age alone).

fakejake

I did not call the gold knobs 'reflector' knobs, I called them 'bell' knobs. But yeah, that's incorrect as well. 'Top hat' is probably the right term.

El Gringo

Beautiful 335 , I love it . I believe and correct me if I am wrong the correct name for the finish would be Viceroy Brown ? Anyway you can get the correct covers from www.throbak.com and they do have the rounded corners and you can get them in either shiney nickel or aged nickel which costs a little more . Beautiful ES-335 !

JimR56

I did not call the gold knobs 'reflector' knobs, I called them 'bell' knobs. But yeah, that's incorrect as well. 'Top hat' is probably the right term.
Sorry if I jumped the gun. Like I said, it was just unclear to me if you were suggesting that the gold knobs were reflectors. As far as naming the knobs, this is one of the most common areas of confusion (or lack of consistency) in the world of Gibson terminology. I tend to try to use terms that were more universal and commonly used in books and articles back when I first got interested in the 1970's. As far as I know, "bonnet knobs" was the term that was used back in the day. I know it's more or less just trivia, but do you know when (or where) the name "Top hat" got started?

I believe and correct me if I am wrong the correct name for the finish would be Viceroy Brown ?
Viceroy Brown was the name that Gibson created for the particular shade of brown sunburst (not a solid color like the 335 here) that was introduced for the Tal Farlow model in 1962. The answer here is very basic, and all you have to do is look at a Gibson catalog circa 1970. The finish was called "walnut", and it was used on several models.