• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R.I.P. Peter Green..

Minibucker

I feel the same...it's such a strange draining feeling hearing about this. Maybe because of the year we've had too.

I'm glad he found health and peace for a good while before he passed. He always seemed like a humble and kind soul, and even if he was never the player he was again, hopefully he realized how much people appreciated what he left us with. Also glad he went peacefully in his sleep.

bern1

I feel privileged to have been able to listen to and feel the emotion in the music you shared with us Peter.

Thank you so very much.

Standard Magic

Peter Greenbaum

He was the main reason I picked up the electric guitar again after many years.

On a separate note, I don't think this is off topic, he played the mother of all Les Pauls!

Texas Blues

Peter Green.

Heaven sent hell away.

No one sings like you anymore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rxux5LdmjQU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

sidekick

Like others here, very saddened to read of Peter Green's death also. ... :dang :rip

Posted often about him here circa 2005 - 2011. My favourite guitarist, (together with his other musical talents) having appreciated his early zenith period particularly for some 54 years and though he is now gone, still so regarded and remembered.

Perhaps some small consolation is that the announcement info says he died peacefully in his sleep and given that he suffered and endured his 'demons' for much of his post Fleetwood Mac life, it was some gladness for his appreciators, (and I hope him) when he returned during the 90's and first decade of year 2k to play, record and enjoy a probably more reasonably fulfilling life again.

lespaul1970

So very sad to hear this news. To say this man was a major influence on me is a huge understatement. I have several pictures with Peter that I wanted to post, but can't seem to figure out how with this thread. Any advice?
As a kid studying the instrument, I immediately connected with Peter's playing. It had such emotion and you could literally hear the man speaking through the guitar. Of all the late 60's players bringing the blues to the masses, no one could touch Peter in terms of raw power and feel. I quickly learned he was somewhat of an enigma and had walked away from the music business, but left a lasting legacy of beautiful music behind. Fast forward a few years, and I was out with B.B. King, following the man everywhere he went and learning from the best. Peter had a deep love for B (as he always told me to call him) as well, and it was a great surprise to find him showing up at several of B's shows to watch his hero. People told me stories about how troubled and lost Peter had become, so when I ran into him the first time, it was a pleasant surprise to find he was full of life and had an amazing sense of humor. Nothing lost about him whatsoever. He had a great memory and recalled many things from the past. I ran into Peter several other times afterwards and he was always a blast to be around. I could write a novel here about what an impact Peter Green and his music has had on me. Sure gonna miss you Peter. It's strange to think back to when I was a kid, trying to play your licks. If you would've told me then that I would not only be hanging with the King of The Blues, but also spending time with Peter Green on multiple occasions, I would've never believed it. So thanks for giving this pain in the butt kid that had a million questions for you some great memories that will last me a lifetime. Rest easy my friend. R.I.P. Peter Allen Greenbaum October 29, 1946 – July 25, 2020

Red Rogue

Rest in Peace!

Now, when I talked to God, I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
Ooh, well

Strangely, I`ve read the Mick Fleetwood Biography ("Then play on") and got some live recordings by the original Fleetwood Mac (Carousel Ballroom 1968/Warehouse 1970) that were missing in my collection during the past few weeks. His music will play on!

@ourmaninthenorth - All over again is one of the best PG tunes! Pure feeling and energy!
Strangely I`ve never found this piece on any release or compilation.

Midnight Blues

Very, very sad. Without question, one of the best.

R.I.P. Peter and thank you for all the great music you made.

Just a couple of my many favorites:

I know many will disagree with me, or may not even like what I'm about to type, but just as Jeff Beck is my favorite guitarist to come out of the Yardbirds, Peter Green was my favorite guitarist to come out of John Mayall & The Blues Breakers.

frown.gif

Last edited:

herb

The guy touched my heart and my soul. What a gift. Thank you Peter Green. RIP.

Minibucker

Like others here, very saddened to read of Peter Green's death also. ... :dang :rip

Posted often about him here circa 2005 - 2011. My favourite guitarist, (together with his other musical talents) having appreciated his early zenith period particularly for some 54 years and though he is now gone, still so regarded and remembered.

Perhaps some small consolation is that the announcement info says he died peacefully in his sleep and given that he suffered and endured his 'demons' for much of his post Fleetwood Mac life, it was some gladness for his appreciators, (and I hope him) when he returned during the 90's and first decade of year 2k to play, record and enjoy a probably more reasonably fulfilling life again.
Agreed, I would like to think that he found peace towards the end.

Bob H.

British Blues didn’t get much better for me than Need Your Love So Bad. RIP Peter.

jrgtr42

THis was tough to hear this morning.
That early incarnation of FM is to me the true Fleetwood Mac. No disrespect to Lindsay Buckingham, but he was filling someone else's shoes - Peter Green.
I listened to Live at the Boston Tea Party at rather deafening volume today.
May he Rest in Peace,

concert410

Very tough to hear the news. I met Peter Green in Cleveland in 2000. He was very nice, no ego. I asked him for his autograph and and he asked me would I know who it was if he signed his real name, would I know who it was?. I said Peter Allen Greenbaum. It made him visibly happier..... For once, I met one of my heroes and spent more than 30 seconds with him, and he didn't show any sign of being a jerk. As a guitar player, he definitely influenced my own playing and LISTENING in the best way.

J.D.

THis was tough to hear this morning.
That early incarnation of FM is to me the true Fleetwood Mac. No disrespect to Lindsay Buckingham, but he was filling someone else's shoes - Peter Green.
I listened to Live at the Boston Tea Party at rather deafening volume today.
May he Rest in Peace,

+1. The Lindsay Buckingham FM should have been a different band name. Much like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar.

Foggy72

I heard this song on FM radio around 1970, and on the strength of that, I bought the album " Then Play On ". I also found the cut "Searching for Madge" and it was even better. When I tried to play it, I could easily find the notes, but was lost trying get the tone and the rhythm.

Arch D. Bunker

To me BB's gushing quote says it all - he never said that about any other player, even though he was very gracious with compliments. Being feared by the King...

I am gutted, but so thankful for all the great stuff that he did. RIP Peter.