• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Blown Away!! Music City Bridge,"Stud-Finder"; Replacement for Gibson LPs w/ Wrap-Over

marshall1987

Blown Away!! Music City Bridge,"Stud-Finder"; Replacement for Gibson LPs w/ Wrap-Over

My suggestion is this:

....DO NOT buy the "Stud Finder" wrap-over bridge/tailpiece (bridge/tp) if....

(a) you are content with the awkward slant angle and other limitations & intonation compromises imposed by the ancient design of the '50s LP Junior'Special bridge/tp; and, (b) you are content with your guitar strings not aligning/spacing evenly as they pass over the top of the bridge/tp; and, (c) you are content with the awkward gap and poor mating that occurs between the lower bridge/tp "ear" and the collar of the corresponding bridge/tp stud; and, (d) you are content with the annoying "sitar effect" that frequently occurs with the high-E string.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Re: Blown Away!! Music City Bridge,"Stud-Finder"; Replacement for Gibson LPs w/ Wrap-

If I had a vintage one with the steep stud angle I'd likely get this.

Beyond that? Nah.

That treble side compensation and the low height certainly helps fitment/setup. It's nice that's it's compensated for the unwound G but that doesn't mean it will be able to have perfect 12th fret intonation as it's still a flat bar regardless, that part of the sell is snake oil but it's great nonetheless.

buyusfear

Re: Blown Away!! Music City Bridge,"Stud-Finder"; Replacement for Gibson LPs w/ Wrap-

How is this different from the MojoAxe compensated wraptail?
If anything this one looks super weird to me.

TM1

I've used the German made ABM wrapover for years. Machined out of Bell Brass! Best sounding one I've tried/used! Cast Aluminium sounds like dog farts vs.machined Bell Brass.

marshall1987

I've used the German made ABM wrapover for years. Machined out of Bell Brass! Best sounding one I've tried/used! Cast Aluminium sounds like dog farts vs.machined Bell Brass.

Normally....high quality bells are made of bronze alloys...., NOT brass..

Brass bells sound like dog farts vs. bronze bells. :laugh2:

MapleFlame

I bought one a few months ago, but my AVH side is preventing me to put in on my guitar. I am more convinced after you tried it though. Will get around to it at some point. Glad it worked out for you.

thin sissy

Congratulations! It looks like it worked out great for you, awsome :dude: !

The design is genious, they nailed it IMHO.

It makes me sad that it really didn't work out for me. I bought one in 2018 for my 57 Junior. I even anticipated a bad fit and bought adjustable Faber studs beforehand. Turned out my CCM bridge was way too thick even for them. So I sanded the ears down until I could put it in. Had the guitar like that for a few months and then put the original bridge and studs back. I was kind of bummed that I had to sand the bridge and so it lost it's plating and looked strange.

This experience made me forget about getting intonated bridges, I also have a 55 goldtop that could use this. Especially since the import to Sweden was expensive. But the more great reviews I see of this bridge, the more I think I got a bad one. With the design so thoughtful, I can't believe it's supposed to be so thick as the one I've got. I wish I had asked them about it when I bought it, but I was foolish and didn't bother.

Again, congrats on your succesful mod! It looks awesome :yah

tooold

How is this different from the MojoAxe compensated wraptail?
If anything this one looks super weird to me.

Exactly.

thin sissy

It has a few new design tricks compared to the mojoaxe, which is more close to original wraptails.

tooold

It has a few new design tricks compared to the mojoaxe, which is more close to original wraptails.

It depends on what you want, I guess. The MojoAxe is almost invisible, compared to an original, but it helps the intonation. This one sort of screams "I'm a new bridge!".

buyusfear

I’m sorry, I’m not seeing what these design features that make it more close to the originals than the MojoAxe are?

56-gibson-junior-4.jpg

thin sissy

I’m sorry, I’m not seeing what these design features that make it more close to the originals than the MojoAxe are?
I meant that the Mojoaxe is more close to the originals, and the CCM bridge is a new design. It seems obvious what they are both going for. Bad grammar on my part maybe.

BTW, everybody asking what's the point and so on, just google it and the website will show up. It will explain what they are after with this design, for instance the string alignment is perfect from the get go, no need to pull/push the strings from side to side while changing strings to get them right. (Not that I've ever had problems with that myself, but a lot of people on forums like these ask questions about string alignment issues).

Seems there is a generally negative tone towards this innovative initiative :hmm I at least tried one before I decided I prefered the original bridge again.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator

I've never understood the need for a compensated bridge on old Jrs. I for one am not playing jazz chords above the 12th fret. When I bend, I bend by ear, so if the intonation is off a little above the 12th fret, I never notice it.:teeth

If I can play a power D chord on the E(10th fret) and A(12th fret) and it's in tune....I'm good.

hogy

A most beautiful solution to a non-existent problem!

Aloha_Ark

I'll order the Replacement Gibson Wrap-Around Tailpiece in polished nickel and let the environment age it. Besides, I'll save $20 in the process. I have a Mojoaxe from several years ago, so the comparison should be interesting. What concerns me is the front to back and depth adjustment range. There are no measurements on the Music City site.

illinimax

Bought one of these for my '57 Jr but my studs aren't even close to being the right size. Any suggestions?

Aloha_Ark

Bought one of these for my '57 Jr but my studs aren't even close to being the right size. Any suggestions?

In what respect? This fits my 1959 LP Jr fine. Is your center-to-center spacing off, or is the height of the U opening too big? Are your studs vintage original?

marshall1987

Scotch, Bourbon, or Rye?

Last edited:

thin sissy

Cool I get it. Not everyone will consider the Stud-Finder replacement bridge a worthwhile modification.

I just have to wonder though .......how many of the critics and naysayers here, have ACTUALLY TRIED this bridge on their vintage Juniors or Specials? I recall perhaps one or two from the above posts.

Apparently, the other 90% have formed strong negative opinions, and feel the need to cast dispersions, WITHOUT EVEN TRYING the bridge! Got to hand it to 'em.... at least they're consistent. :dang

I am so grateful my Creator endowed me with me with rudimental traits such as inquisitiveness, curiosity, and the drive to explore new horizons. Having an open, inquisitive mind has served me well over the years. :salude
Yeah, it's actually a bit dissapointing reading the responses in this thread IMHO. It's weird that whenever someone refinishes/routes an original 50's Goldtop to get a conversion burst, AT LEAST 50% of the responses are positive like "It's HIS guitar, he can do whatever the F...K he WANTS!!", but when you recommend this, completely reverseable and non intrusive mod, the general response is a lot more negative :hmm

Anyway, this thread inspired me to put mine on again next string change just to try it again. Thanks :salude