• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Did any 2009 R8s come new with grovers -- but also with kluson holes?

ledbird

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 2009 R8 that has grovers, but also has holes and finish imprints where klusons were clearly once installed.

The seller says it came this way new -- with grovers, but showing kluson holes and imprints in the finish.

Is this true? Did Gibson ship any 2009 R8s this way new?

Thanks for the help.

v74nj3l3kbodxcy1wcyl.jpg

Drayve85

My gut says “No”. But I could be wrong. I’ve not heard of any that came like that, but hopefully the walking encyclopedias on the forum will chime in with a definitive answer. I know some came with grovers stock, but idk about the kluson holes. Sorry for not being of much help!lol

Last edited:

garywright

Gibson had no reason drill for Klusons but install Grovers unless it was a signature CC model .. so I say no, those were installed post factory

ledbird

Gibson had no reason drill for Klusons but install Grovers unless it was a signature CC model .. so I say no, those were installed post factory

My gut says “No”. But I could be wrong. I’ve not heard of any that came like that, but hopefully the walking encyclopedias on the forum will chime in with a definitive answer. I know some came with grovers stock, but idk about the opus on holes. Sorry for not being of much help!lol

This is my feeling as well.

Last edited:

axeman565758

I'd say no as well. There were not any special run/sig model R8's in 2009.

Bruce R

What difference does it make, other than knowing the history of the guitar? Are the Grovers a deal breaker? If you don't mind them, why not buy it. I had an '06 R8 and loved it.

ledbird

What difference does it make, other than knowing the history of the guitar? Are the Grovers a deal breaker? If you don't mind them, why not buy it. I had an '06 R8 and loved it.

I don't mind growers. I have them in a 2000 Standard where they did actually come factory-standard -- with no pre-drilled kluson holes. :)

What I do mind is the following:

1) Honesty: If you portray something as "Mint" and "Brand New" that has a bunch of holes drilled in it, what else are you not telling me?

2) The concept of a "reissue": A bunch of extra holes and non-original tuners does not represent the spec of a 1958 Reissue.

3) Resale/going back: If the existing headstock holes were reamed out by who-knows-who to fit the grovers, I can't go back to the actual R8 spec. And now I'm the guy now holding the hackjob trying to convince everyone that the holes were pre-drilled for authenticity by the Gibson Custom Shop.

If it could be proved that this was original spec though, it might be different to me. It would clear up all three of my concerns.

garywright

if the seller bought this brand new..he’s lying about the Grovers ..if he bought it secondhand ..he could still be lying or just mistaken or possibly parts challenged :ganz

ledbird

if the seller bought this brand new..he’s lying about the Grovers ..if he bought it secondhand ..he could still be lying or just mistaken or possibly parts challenged :ganz

He says it's new and came from Gibson this way as part of their VOS finish.

ledbird

Ohhh --- this just in! He just sent an apology!

Now he's decided that they have actually been changed.

Case closed. :hmm

GreenBurst

Ohhh --- this just in! He just sent an apology!

Now he's decided that they have actually been changed.

Case closed. :hmm

Hmmm. He probablty saw this thread.

The price should represents the changed tuners status and not be the same as an original condition Y2K R8.

Even then, can you really trust someone that has lied for their own benefit at your exspense?

There are many great R8 LPs out there.

Bruce R

My two cents:

I didn't do anything to my R8 that could not have been reversed and I owned and played it regularly for 13 years. The guy I sold it to was actually pleased with what I did do to it.

I shortly replaced the tuners in my '69 Custom (because they were shot) when I bought it in '81 with Grovers. This was common at the time because reproduction "wafflebacks" were not available. I eventually wore the Grovers out but I replaced them with wafflebacks because they suddenly started making them again! The value of the guitar is no better or worse for it.

I only say this to not be discouraged from buying the R8 if the price is right and you really like it. Go for it. Grovers are a respectable & commonplace upgrade (and sometimes, an improvement) to most buyers looking at a used Custom Shop/Historic instrument.