• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best 5E3 these days?

Mr. Papa

Hey folks,
I'm thinking of picking up a 5E3 clone of some kind, what's good out there these days? Fender has one, I saw a Mojotone on Reverb that had a JCM800 channel that seemed interesting (but the interactive channels are separated, only one volume control), and there are the presumably-awesome builds from Victoria and other boutique builders. I want the vintage vibe, but don't mind any good improvements that don't steal the magic..who has what, and what do you think?
Thank you!

jrgtr42

Hey folks,
I'm thinking of picking up a 5E3 clone of some kind, what's good out there these days? Fender has one, I saw a Mojotone on Reverb that had a JCM800 channel that seemed interesting (but the interactive channels are separated, only one volume control), and there are the presumably-awesome builds from Victoria and other boutique builders. I want the vintage vibe, but don't mind any good improvements that don't steal the magic..who has what, and what do you think?
Thank you!

As an addition to this question, what is the best value in 5E3? That is, the best for the least.
It's not necessarily the least expensive one, but the most bang for your buck? Where the arcs of quality and price intersect?

Texas Blues

Clark Beaufort is hard to beat.

If you can get one.

Very true to vintage with volt correction tranny.

But pricey these days.

I have Mike's Beaufort Special.

Dial it up on the 6's.

With a 5751 in V1.

And a '54 GT or Jr.

Jesus tone.

When I die.

Cremate my body with that amp.

I'll be taking it with me to heaven.

stormy

Speed Shop 5E3 Studio is as good as it gets. Played many tweed reproductions and their good but nobody dials in an amp like Ron. I haven't played a better sounding Deluxe - it feels right too !

rockabilly69

Texas Blues

Another vote for the Clark Beaufort. I've been using one of his Deluxe models for the last six months and have been loving it. One of my best friends has two original 50's tweeds and my Clark gives up nothing to those...

with a combination rangemaster/fuzz in front

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/hawthorn-treble-boost-fuzz-demo

with a Hermida Reverb pedal in front...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/tweed-love

That second clip had bbq all over it.

Well done senor.

Very well done!

lonesomesheik

I m thinking about Ron’s 5e3, six weeks délay is quite a short time, I guess I ll get me one for Xrimas, for surviving such a year:spabout:spabout:spabout:spabout

herb

Another Beaufort owner. I've had mine for close to 20 years and is played regularly and well broken in. When gigging I use it in combo with a Carr Rambler at half power (14 watts. Diode? Pentode?) and an A/B switch to use one or another or both. Love the sound with either buckers or single coils.

Lazy J 20. I'd like to check out that amp. Made in England. I've seen some guys demoing them on YouTube and they sound lovely. Tres cher, though.

lonesomesheik

There was a full article in the Tone Quest report ( Feb.2016) about Lazy J, which seems to be A very good option, if not quite he exact 5e3.:hmm

Sol

My 5e3 died on me mid session on a new yrs day jam 2020. I'm not upset forum brothers, I'm bereft.. In mourning.. The finest amp under 30 Watts I've ever known, my first tweed and a genuine revelation.
Hoping for a UK based repair, but prepared to ship to the US if needs be, whatever gets the job done. I now understand the passion for these amazing amp's.

springhead

My 5e3 died on me mid session on a new yrs day jam 2020. I'm not upset forum brothers, I'm bereft.. In mourning.. The finest amp under 30 Watts I've ever known, my first tweed and a genuine revelation.
Hoping for a UK based repair, but prepared to ship to the US if needs be, whatever gets the job done. I now understand the passion for these amazing amp's.

Any decent amp tech will be able to fix your 5E3. It's a simple amp and apart from being a little cramped in that tweed chassis is easy to work on. You on Fretboard? Post in the amps section there for recommended techs near you. In fact at the top of the amp page there is a thread of recommended amp techs, use that as a starting point perhaps.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/categories/amps

Sol

Thanks for your response, I will check out your recommendation