• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Identify my Les Paul Standard Gold Top - Pictures

bthmusic

Hello - I've had this LP for a few years after buying it second hand. I never bothered researching it until now, but I'd like to know more about this guitar. It was made in 2008 but it doesn't have any of the newer 2008 Standard appointments (locking tuners, neutrik jack, pcb board, etc). Here's what I know:

• Stamped 2008 on the headstock. Internet lookup shows October 2008 build in Nashville.
  • Neck pickup cavity notes: GT
  • Bridge pickup cavity notes: LPS5
  • Body is chambered or has weight relief of some kind. Weighs less than 8lbs
  • Grover "tulip" tuners (not locking). I haven't seen these on any other 2008 or 2007 for that matter.
  • "Standard" truss rod cover
  • Pickups were swithed to Lollar Imperials by prior owner
  • No pickguard was installed
  • Back plates are sliver. I haven't seen this elsewhere.
  • Mahogany body has lots of swirls and movement. I've never seen it like this, but I've always loved it.
  • Case is the standard white interior
  • Bone nut was installed by my shop in Nashville.

Is this just a simple Les Paul Standard? It's not the "2008 Standard," but it was built in 2008. I think LPS5 means Les Paul Standard with a 50's neck.

Thanks for your help. I'd love to know more about this. I'm also sending Gibson a message for more info.

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg

El Gringo

Hello - I've had this LP for a few years after buying it second hand. I never bothered researching it until now, but I'd like to know more about this guitar. It was made in 2008 but it doesn't have any of the newer 2008 Standard appointments (locking tuners, neutrik jack, pcb board, etc). Here's what I know:

• Stamped 2008 on the headstock. Internet lookup shows October 2008 build in Nashville.
  • Neck pickup cavity notes: GT
  • Bridge pickup cavity notes: LPS5
  • Body is chambered or has weight relief of some kind. Weighs less than 8lbs
  • Grover "tulip" tuners (not locking). I haven't seen these on any other 2008 or 2007 for that matter.
  • "Standard" truss rod cover
  • Pickups were swithed to Lollar Imperials by prior owner
  • No pickguard was installed
  • Back plates are sliver. I haven't seen this elsewhere.
  • Mahogany body has lots of swirls and movement. I've never seen it like this, but I've always loved it.
  • Case is the standard white interior
  • Bone nut was installed by my shop in Nashville.

Is this just a simple Les Paul Standard? It's not the "2008 Standard," but it was built in 2008. I think LPS5 means Les Paul Standard with a 50's neck.

Thanks for your help. I'd love to know more about this. I'm also sending Gibson a message for more info.

View attachment 11784
View attachment 11785
View attachment 11786
View attachment 11787
View attachment 11788

Everything looks pretty standard and normal to me . Sometimes we can get caught up on reading specs and appointments online myself included and wonder why did my instrument have this feature and not "this " feature ? Sometimes Gibson might not roll out changes until a supply of parts is depleted and gone . That could be a possible explanation . Your guitar looks beautiful by the way and the pickups are an upgrade , so you made out good there . The switch plate cover and control plate cover look like replacements to me . How does the guitar play ? do you like the sound of the pickups ?

bthmusic

Everything looks pretty standard and normal to me . Sometimes we can get caught up on reading specs and appointments online myself included and wonder why did my instrument have this feature and not "this " feature ? Sometimes Gibson might not roll out changes until a supply of parts is depleted and gone . That could be a possible explanation . Your guitar looks beautiful by the way and the pickups are an upgrade , so you made out good there . The switch plate cover and control plate cover look like replacements to me . How does the guitar play ? do you like the sound of the pickups ?

Thanks. I was wondering about those back plates being replacements. The guitar plays great; it was set up by Glacier Instruments in Nashville. The pickups sound great as well, if not a little too high gain sounding. I'm not sure if they're the high or low wind Imperials. I might try something a little more vintage sounding at some point. I also think it's great looking and I may add the pick guard even though it hasn't been drilled yet. It's rare to see a Gold top that isn't drilled.

Thunder Dump

You are correct in your assumptions--this is the old Standard with a 50s neck. There was some crossover in 2008 when they were still making them with the old spec. Obviously a few aftermarket parts on the guitar as well. Those tuners were standard issue for the Traditional Pro starting in 2009. My guess is the previous owner swapped them out--probably at the same time he swapped out the control plates for some added bling.

Scott L

You are correct in your assumptions--...... Those tuners were standard issue for the Traditional Pro starting in 2009. My guess is the previous owner swapped them out--probably at the same time he swapped out the control plates for some added bling.

Those tuners were also standard issue on the "08 Standard".

Are there the holes in the back of the headstock from have regular Klusons originally installed?

bthmusic

Those tuners were also standard issue on the "08 Standard".

Are there the holes in the back of the headstock from have regular Klusons originally installed?

The tuners on the "08 Standard" were locking, but they looked like these otherwise. These are not locking.

There are no holes from Klusons that I can see, but they indeed appear to have been replaced. One isn't seated perfectly flush with the back of the headstock... only a slight imperfection, but I'll have my shop remedy that.

bthmusic

Gibson has responded and confirmed that this is the previous model Standard with a 50's neck, but produced on the 294th day of 2008. I know pickups were replaced with Lollars, 99% sure tuners are replacements since they're not locking and I see evidence of a change, the nut has been updated by my shop to a bone nut, and the back plates are replacements.

And I just found that the tailpiece says Epiphone on the bottom and has clips that hold it into place when you remove the strings. Ha!

I think that covers it! Interesting story on this one, but I love the way it plays and sounds. I'm going to have my shop insure the tuners are installed perfectly, drop in a 50's wiring harness (wiring for the new pickups is a little messy), and put on an OEM bridge and tailpiece to bring that back to standard.

Thanks for the help.