• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Soldering Station recommendations

somebodyelseuk

Morning chaps n chapesses.
I've been getting by for decades using cheapish soldering irons. I'm looking to get a soldering station. Looking to spend no more than £200.
The Hakko FX888D is the favourite to get the job.

Anyone got any experience with this product?
Cheers.

Don

I've been using a Weller WES51 for years and really like it, but have heard good things about the Hakko.

Cream Fan

I will second the vote for Hakko. I have had the FX-888D station for years and it performs flawlessly.

somebodyelseuk

Thanks for the replies.
My concern, I suppose, was whether the Hakko had enough juice to do grounding on pots.

Don

Thanks for the replies.
My concern, I suppose, was whether the Hakko had enough juice to do grounding on pots.

It looks like it's a little more powerful than my WES51 and the WES51 is more than adequate on pots when I use a 1/8" (3mm) wide tip, so it should be fine.

somebodyelseuk

Thanks everyone for the your advice.
I ordered one this morning, along with a couple of 3.2mm bits to be going on with.

Blue97FXSTC

This one is beyond your budget, but I'll offer it up since it's a sure enough Cadillac.

Metcal MX500

I have two Metcal MX500S-11 units on my bench that have been used daily for more than 15 years.
Turn it on, wait 5 seconds and you have an 800 degree tip that will attach a ground wire to a pot with ease.
The MX550S-11 was replaced by the MX500S several years ago.
The new units are $500, but you can likely find a the previous model used within your price range.

Replacement tips are about $20 each and come in a huge variety of sizes and temperatures (600, 700, 800 degree).