The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

Thread: My New Tiger

My New Tiger

Here is my new Jerry Garcia Tiger replica. First picture is next to the Wolf I had built by the same luthier last year. The craftsmanship on these instruments is mind boggling.

Re: My New Tiger

impressive!

Paws to da Walls

Very cool custom builds.

Thanks guys...I realize they're not the style of build usually posted. But I've always loved Jerry's guitars.

Really nice work. I definitely dig those Doug IRwin guitars (and GOOD replicas thereof)
    Don't know that I'd personally want a replica of a guitar so specifically identified with a specific player, but that's just me...
    I definitely wouldn't turn down playing them for a while, though.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Very cool! How do they play and sound?
    Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by akstrat61 View Post
    Very cool! How do they play and sound?
    They play and sound great. With its purpleheart core and maple top/back, the Wolf is obviously the brighter of the two. Even though the Tiger has a maple core, it's got a much warmer overall tone. I attribute this to the chambered wings and the black cocobolo top/back. As for the necks, the Wolf is quite slim. It's like a slightly more narrowed 60's SG. Extremely comfortable to play, especially since I don't have huge hands. The Tiger has a fuller neck that reminds me a lot of several 70's BC Rich's that I used to have. With the pickup configurations and coil taps on both, the tone possibilities are endless. They both have OBEL's but I don't use them.

When standing with a strap, the Wolf tends to lie with the neck a little further to the left than I like. The Tiger sits perfectly, though the 10 lb 10 oz weight may prohibit me form playing one of hour typical 3-4 hour gigs with. But we'll see.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalevinemd View Post
    Here is my new Jerry Garcia Tiger replica. First picture is next to the Wolf I had built by the same luthier last year. The craftsmanship on these instruments is mind boggling.

Please can you re post these photos as J Pegs as I cant see the ones you posted and really love Jerry .

They sure do look rightous. I was wondering about the weight, but afraid to ask. LOL In any event, very cool pieces, play them in good health.
    Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Please can you re post these photos as J Pegs as I cant see the ones you posted and really love Jerry .
    Sure. I just need to figure out how to do that. Otherwise, Just PM me your email address and I'll send you a few pics of both.

Did Philtone build these?

Quote Originally Posted by geddy402 View Post
    The only Tiger replica I've seen from Phil Jacoby had nowhere near the amount of detailed wood or metal work that these guitars have. These were both done by an amateur luthier named Bob Fishman whom I met through a Grateful dead Forum; www.rukind.com.

Quote Originally Posted by geddy402 View Post
    No. The only Tiger replica I've seen from Phil Jacoby didn't have nearly the same amount of detailed wood or metal work.