• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Doug and Pat are back. This show is about Les Pauls

J T

Here are good ol' Doug and Pat talking about Les Pauls

Glad to see them back after quarantine etc.

Last edited:

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Here are good ol' Doug and Pat talking about Les Pauls

Glad to see them back after quarantine etc.

I spent some time with Doug and Pat a couple of years ago, when I was out in Portland OR. Great guys, lot of fun. I got to hold "Oscar", Pat's stunning 1958 goldtop too.

steve with doug & pat.jpgSteve with Oscar.jpg

J T

Oh yeah how cool is that? I'll bet that was fun.

If you get towards the end of their latest video, they are wrapping it up and calling it a day.

Darn

This was exactly something I had been hoping that someone would do. Comparing a new 60th anniversary to the real thing is something I was very interested in seeing. Looks like it holds up well, but with a multitude of typical problems. It's pretty audacious to call these guitars a clone, but they had to be ready for for pushback when using that kind of language on a COA. It's disappointing to see the headstock and silkscreen be so far off, especially when they've gotten it much closer in the past. A typical problem on both Fenders and Gibsons is always where the headstock meets the neck. Seems Fender has the same problem in nailing this element. Looking at many, many early teles, nocasters, etc... the carve is SO DEEP where the neck dips to the headstock on the treble side and on the bass it absolutely plummets downward. Fender always misses this detail on CS models. Gibson looks like theirs is clunky in the same way from this video. Also Gibson always tends to lean towards exaggerated neck profiles, and this seems to continue to be the case here. Neck weren't as big in the old days, it still is mystifying to me how this misconception has gotten started and has become the de facto profiles for historics. Unfortunate. If you want something with a true to form profile, it seems you're almost out of luck with the exception of an R0. As far as the rounding of the binding, comparing a 60 year old guitar to something brand new is probably not a fair comparison and it would be unclear as to how these originally shipped from the factory. Played in is called played in for a reason, it has to be, well, played in, for a long time.

somebodyelseuk

This was exactly something I had been hoping that someone would do. Comparing a new 60th anniversary to the real thing is something I was very interested in seeing. Looks like it holds up well, but with a multitude of typical problems. It's pretty audacious to call these guitars a clone, but they had to be ready for for pushback when using that kind of language on a COA. It's disappointing to see the headstock and silkscreen be so far off, especially when they've gotten it much closer in the past. A typical problem on both Fenders and Gibsons is always where the headstock meets the neck. Seems Fender has the same problem in nailing this element. Looking at many, many early teles, nocasters, etc... the carve is SO DEEP where the neck dips to the headstock on the treble side and on the bass it absolutely plummets downward. Fender always misses this detail on CS models. Gibson looks like theirs is clunky in the same way from this video. Also Gibson always tends to lean towards exaggerated neck profiles, and this seems to continue to be the case here. Neck weren't as big in the old days, it still is mystifying to me how this misconception has gotten started and has become the de facto profiles for historics. Unfortunate. If you want something with a true to form profile, it seems you're almost out of luck with the exception of an R0. As far as the rounding of the binding, comparing a 60 year old guitar to something brand new is probably not a fair comparison and it would be unclear as to how these originally shipped from the factory. Played in is called played in for a reason, it has to be, well, played in, for a long time.
Only valid test is to compare one to 'Carmelita'. The neck and top carve are supposedly based on it. Oscar and Jayne are not Carmelita and neither are 59s.
I've never played any original burst, let alone sevetal of them, but those who have say they're all different. That's why people like Mr Marsden have owned several over the years, but only a handful for decades.

marshall1987

So Doug and Pat are in Portland? YIKES! :dang. And with a cache of vintage guitars and amps? Sure hope they have home security....and keeping them safe. Thoughts and prayers go out to them. :dude: