• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cork Sniffer Video

Aloha_Ark

Doug and Pat host a show on Cork Sniffing and come to the conclusion that Sound matters most to them, but not to many collectors.

On this show, we get to hear Jayne, a 1960 burst, and she sounds wonderful.

A number of useful tidbits for verifying the pedigree of vintage guitars were mentioned. Dish out was new to me. Now, I won't be able to sleep, worrying about that feature on the top carve.

65Firebird

Have enjoyed their videos over the years, always a good blend of information and humour. Sad that it's coming to an end.

Minibucker

The real vintage ones just seem to have more 'body' and elasticity to the sound, newer ones sounding a bit stiffer. Maybe they become like the old ones over time as everything 'gels' with echother.

Tarcisioo

I agree with them, sound doesn't matter. I don't think tone is what people look for in old guitars. I know I don't. An old blanket may not be the most tidy looking, it may be torn in several places, and it may not have the fresh smell of a new one, but an old blanket is always the best blanket (if you're an old blanket type of guy :spabout)

hoss

Interesting video. So what do you guys think about the sound comparison?

joeh77

Watched most of this piece the other day. Always a fun watch!

Joe

metropolis

Great video, shame they're not doing any more on this topic but looks like they're leaving the door open for some other content. I'm looking forward to checking out the Kemper profiles too.

GoldenState

Great video.

At 8:40 they talk about the peg head logo. They say with the new ones the Gibson logo came in one big block.

How would that have been been for a 57-60? Was it a big block too, or have the letters been added letter by letter to the head?

Appreciate any links, for more detailed info.

TIA!

TM1

It's funny that when I went to Doug's house a couple of years back, both he and Pat were exactly the same like they are in the videos. Nice to know they're not put-on's!