• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2009 Les Paul Special.

spursn17

Hi.
I am considering buying a 2009 Les Paul Special, does anybody have this?...please share your thoughts:)
Never had a P90 guitar...and now i've decided to get me one..
Thanks

Texas Blues

Hi.
I am considering buying a 2009 Les Paul Special, does anybody have this?...please share your thoughts:)
Never had a P90 guitar...and now i've decided to get me one..
Thanks

Not every one wants a LP with p90's.

But every one needs a LP with p90's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8x1PqD_6Rk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Brian Krashpad

I don't have a 2009 LP Special, but I do own several Specials (Gibson, Epiphone, and Hamer); I have owned a few more (a couple other Gibson Les Paul Specials, and a Schecter Tempest Special), and a couple Juniors, in the past. Make sure that the guitar you're buying has actual P-90s rather than P-100 stacked humbuckers-- they look exactly the same to the eye, but do not sound the same.

P-90s are great pickups, with more clarity than humbuckers, but more grit/output than Fender-style singles. They can do from jazz to old school punk rock and roll, and everything in between. They are noisier than humbuckers, so not a good match with super heavy/saturated distortion found in more modern metal/hardcore, but that's about the only caveat to their use that I can think of.

Some groups/performers/albums to hear P-90s: Mountain/Leslie West, The Who: Live At Leeds, New York Dolls (Johnny Thunders' leads), Buzzcocks on SIngles Going Steady, Social Distortion (their modern era albums), Green Day (more recent albums).

Here are my P-90 guitars. Have fun, good luck!

36148018332_ea5db17ec3_b.jpg