• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Maple- vs mahogny neck on es 335?

lare65

All other things being equal, I presume a 3-piece maple neck would sound a tad brighter and be more consistent (harder) then a mahogny neck? Am I right? The reason I ask is I have a `79 with a maple neck that I havent needed to adjust the trussrod on in 20 years, and I am wondering how it would have sounded with a mahogny neck.:hmm

Last edited:

Deus91

Your description mirrors my experience, although my guitar is a
Les Paul Custom with a maple neck and ebony board.
A hard rock machine! Tight and focused.

TM1

All other things being equal, I presume a 3-piece maple neck would sound a tad brighter and be more consistent (harder) then a mahogny neck? Am I right? The reason I ask is I have a `79 with a maple neck that I havent needed to adjust the trussrod on in 20 years, and I am wondering how it would have sounded with a mahogny neck.:hmm

I bet if you swapped out the the humbuckings for a couple of FilterTron's it'd sound more like a Gretsch Duo Jet. Gretsch has almost always used Maple necks..

poor man's burst

Although some (not all) Gretsch Firebird have maple neck, all the Duo-jet, Silver-Jet, Round -Up, 6121 I have seen have mahogany neck.

TM1

Although some (not all) Gretsch Firebird have maple neck, all the Duo-jet, Silver-Jet, Round -Up, 6121 I have seen have mahogany neck.
Yeah, You’re right! It’s been a good 15-20 years since I owned one. I have 1960 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman & a 62 & 64 Country Club‘s. They all have 3 piece maple/walnut necks..!

lare65

Thanks for your replies guys. I allways found this particular es335 with maple neck a bit lacking of something that my Gibsons with mahogny necks had. I thought it was the maple neck but I was wrong. I converted the guitar to abr-1 and aluminum stoptail and yes, now she sings the way I like. :salude