• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VIDEO: Demo of my '59 Les Paul Special through a Friedman PT20 (Pink Taco)

Anje

Sounds great Ed! And that Special looks really nice congrats :salude
Sometimes wish I'd still have my '60, loved that thing.

MapleFlame

Ed, you made me pull out my 59 Special. No doubt they can hang with PAF guitars. I played mine through my 64 AC30. Very comparable tone and yes YOUR neck pickup as Will Ferrell said "IT WAS GLORIOUS"
The necks are very different in 59 to me, easy playing standing or seated. The neck shape difference from 52,54,56,57 to 59 really is dramatic from feel to side view.

Ed A

Ed, you made me pull out my 59 Special. No doubt they can hang with PAF guitars. I played mine through my 64 AC30. Very comparable tone and yes YOUR neck pickup as Will Ferrell said "IT WAS GLORIOUS"
The necks are very different in 59 to me, easy playing standing or seated. The neck shape difference from 52,54,56,57 to 59 really is dramatic from feel to side view.

Yes, love the neck pickup… But the bridge pickup really blows my mind… The demo I didn’t do enough with it to show it off, but that bridge pup nails the Leslie west tone and is a lot of fun to play! Of course playing a P90 guitar clean gets some beautiful tones as well especially the middle tone…. I’ve had a couple of P90 goldtops in the past which were great but sometimes were a bit too bright for my taste. I think I’ve come to realize that the combination of brighter P90s with warm mahogany is a perfect combination. Without that maple to make it brighter, this guitar is no brighter or more strident sounding than my PAF Les Paul. It’s the same level of brightness which is perfect!

MapleFlame

Yes, love the neck pickup… But the bridge pickup really blows my mind… The demo I didn’t do enough with it to show it off, but that bridge pup nails the Leslie west tone and is a lot of fun to play! Of course playing a P90 guitar clean gets some beautiful tones as well especially the middle tone…. I’ve had a couple of P90 goldtops in the past which were great but sometimes were a bit too bright for my taste. I think I’ve come to realize that the combination of brighter P90s with warm mahogany is a perfect combination. Without that maple to make it brighter, this guitar is no brighter or more strident sounding than my PAF Les Paul. It’s the same level of brightness which is perfect!

My bridge pickup is the same Ed, they just cut through anything. I really love it though low powered 50's Tweeds. I didn't intend to make negative inference to your Bridge pickup, it's just as incredible or more than the neck pickup. I'm just glad you reminded me to pick mine up. Lol