• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

74 Les Paul Special. Is this worth anything?

Flykol

40AE805B-80A4-4214-8E15-4D8A15C8E6B8.jpg2BD02AAA-BD1F-46C8-AB54-9B590B359DA8.jpg7B736465-19FD-4502-9C99-C9819EAA85C3.jpg 74 Les Paul Special. Lots of mods.” Badass bridge, Grover tuners. Odd pickups. Worn frets. And the neck was broke and repaired. I’ve had it since 83. What is worth? Comments welcome. Mike

Triplet

I have one with the requisite headstock break, too. I got to say it is the favorite of my current 11 Les Pauls. Mine still has the P90s, though. I tried to trade it in 12-15 years ago at the local and he wouldn't even consider taking it. His loss and my gain.

Flykol

Yes. I play using famous two string guitar method. My poor guitar had blue green mildew on it and rusty strings. Thus the comPlete wash down. I’m sensing it’s not worth much more than $200 bucks as a trade. Just play acoustic now. I’m thinking it’s a 1974 55 special reissue. It has a markeR message under the electronics cover that says this guitar was custom made by Gibson for some fellow in 1974. Anyone ever seen something like that?

I do not see any 1970 s section in the forem. I suppose the 70 models are not collectable

guitplayer

These tend to have pencil thin necks. The pickups look like an
old dimarzio PAF / Super d combo. :dude:

Flykol

I checked the pick up. You are correct Sir. I guess I can’t put correct pickups in since it looks like body was gouged away to fit the demarzios in there.

Attachments

• 667A5800-DBA7-42FE-8831-AFF32CB89781.jpg
    667A5800-DBA7-42FE-8831-AFF32CB89781.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 21

Flykol

I some how lost la long thin bolt that adjusts the height of each side of a pickup. I figured good luck finding one. Turns out it's a common gun bolt and it's very nicely machined in black. I think I'll replace all 4. The old chrome ones got to go. The new bolt is on the right in center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 21

fakejake

Looks nice, I'd definitely rock that thing :dude:
Clean it up, maybe put on new plastics and a correct wraparound bridge and you're ready to go :jim

Bob Womack

There are lots of interesting uses for that sort of guitar. Here's what they usually looked like:

IMG_1559_b6eda061-0cfa-4132-ab3c-0dbf7e3d1e9c.jpg

Note the flat top, P-90 pickups, and interesting pickguard. Joe Walsh figured them out.

250px-Joe_Walsh_4_-_1975.jpg

Bob

Bruce R

I'd say that Special looks like a great player-grade guitar! If it were mine I'd definitely lose the 80's brass parts and go with new black pickup rings and new black pickguard. This would restore some aesthetics to it, no doubt.

Flykol

I like the recommendation for the wrap bridge and new plastic! And it sounds Inexpensive too! I also need the little white knob for the treble switch. I always thought the brass was a plus. Of course the body is pretty heavy and if I lose an a ounce or two that would be ok. Even has brass nut!

im finding lots of pick guards online but not any with pick up frames....

fakejake

im finding lots of pick guards online but not any with pick up frames....

Those two come separate. Any humbucker pickup rings will do really, and probably most LP-style pickguards.

Flykol

What’s the odds that I get Lp special Pick guard and cut snip it a little? Is there a technique? Scissors, carpet knife, Good idea/ bad idea?

Bruce R

Those two come separate. Any humbucker pickup rings will do really, and probably most LP-style pickguards.

Exactly!

See if you can find some place nearby that has a new Gibson or aftermarket pickguard to match up well with the pickup ring orientation. If the brass one that's on there now fits fine, then good. If not, locate one of the many pickguard-making businesses found online (I like Pickguardian) and have them fabricate one for you. Easy and inexpensive. Just send them a tracing indicating the pickup rings, neck, etc.

Considering the guitar is modeled after a late 50's Special you have a couple style options you could go with:

1. The LP Special style as your guitar originally had, as the one in Bob Womack's photo, but adapted for humbuckings & rings.

2. Use a standard LP black pickguard (like your brass one).

Don

I'd address the frets, clean it up and play it as a '70s style hot rod rock guitar.

Jimi Some Moore

I have a 1974 Les Paul Special that I bought in 1978 for £220 which include Gibson fitted case and a BOSS OD1 thrown in !
The guitar was known as a 74/55 Reissue, all mahogany slim neck/body and surprisingly hot P90's.

I would upload a photo if I new how

Last edited: