• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall Astoria combos

goldtop0

You guys that have them and play them..........what is the tonal difference between these 3 combos and say a 1974X or '73X like I have and think are the bees knees.

TM1

Ooo.. I'll have to think about this one. I have an Astoria Custom Combo & Head as well as a 1974x. They sound pretty close but I think the Astoria has a bit more in your face punch because of the KT66's. I have NOS Valves in all of mine..

goldtop0

Ooo.. I'll have to think about this one. I have an Astoria Custom Combo & Head as well as a 1974x. They sound pretty close but I think the Astoria has a bit more in your face punch because of the KT66's. I have NOS Valves in all of mine..

Ah so KT66s are used in them........who woulda thought.......takes me back to early JTM45s in my thinking:hmm

Deus91

Also a big fan of the mighty KT66. :jim
mFcivEX.jpg
ZUhoW81.jpg
vK69b6F.jpg

thin sissy

How do you like your Metro? Along with Germino, top quality amps.
Two of the best, I think.
I absolutely agree! I built it from their kit they used to sell about 12 years ago. I used to blast this thing wide open through 4 Scumback M75 25W's, with a 1957 Jr straight in. Good times... I can't do that anymore since I moved to a city 9 years ago, but one day I'll move to a house again and do it once more :dude:

BTW, those are some really really nice KT66's you got there! What are they going in?

OP: sorry for OT, I'll stop now.

TM1

:wow So am I!

It's time for me to replace the KT66's in my metro JTM45. But damn, they are expensive valves...

Yeah, but when you think about it, the average lifespan of these valves is 8,000 hours. So in the long run it's not bad..

thin sissy

Yeah, but when you think about it, the average lifespan of these valves is 8,000 hours. So in the long run it's not bad..
Wow really, I've never seen a mean time to failure on valves before, cool! No excuse now not to replace the old ones then :hank

TM1

Wow really, I've never seen a mean time to failure on valves before, cool! No excuse now not to replace the old ones then :hank

That's what the M.O.Valve company quotes for life expectancy on KT66's and they go onto say that 10,000 hours is not uncommon. I think that big Marshall book that Mike Doyle put out nearly 30 years ago has the sheet from M.O.Valve(GEC).
I wonder what the reissue ones that Electro Harmonix has made is..

Deus91

I absolutely agree! I built it from their kit they used to sell about 12 years ago. I used to blast this thing wide open through 4 Scumback M75 25W's, with a 1957 Jr straight in. Good times... I can't do that anymore since I moved to a city 9 years ago, but one day I'll move to a house again and do it once more :dude:

BTW, those are some really really nice KT66's you got there! What are they going in?

OP: sorry for OT, I'll stop now.
A more or less 1964 "Tribute" clone. Used almost all vintage parts in the build.
Also apologies to the OP, for unrelated post.
b8fhIcs.jpg

Deus91

Where’d you get those knobs?
EBAY, a guy from France, was very pleasantly surprised/happy with how well they
looked when they arrived.
That was a good week, found these knobs, a BY114 (man, that was hard to find) , and a Radiospares board. He still shows up every once in awhile, just check Marshall JTM45 on EBAY.

TM1

EBAY, a guy from France, was very pleasantly surprised/happy with how well they
looked when they arrived.
That was a good week, found these knobs, a BY114 (man, that was hard to find) , and a Radiospares board. He still shows up every once in awhile, just check Marshall JTM45 on EBAY.
Thanks! I appreciate the info!

agogetr

:wow So am I!

It's time for me to replace the KT66's in my metro JTM45. But damn, they are expensive valves...
try to find some jan 7581A tubes. they are sleepers and will probably last a long long time in your amp. even check ebay you might get a steal on some.

thin sissy

try to find some jan 7581A tubes. they are sleepers and will probably last a long long time in your amp. even check ebay you might get a steal on some.
That's a tube I've never tried. I'll be on the lookout for a pair, thanks for the suggestion :salude

goldtop0

I've had a pair in my '65 SR since the late '90s.........a very very good toneful tube:2cool

TM1

The Astoria series will use any 6L6, KT66, EL37, EL34, 7581A as the output section is Cathode Biased(sorta Class A). There's no Bias adjustment that needs to be done. I know the guy who designed this said he designed the amp to use EL34/6CA7, but Marshall decided to go with KT-66's which is fine by me!!