• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60 Les Paul reissue or 59 LP reissue

hydraman

Im still hesitating between the new 1960 60th anniversary or the 59 Les Paul ,which one will be worth more in time and playing!
I had a 58 and 59 and now I wanted once a 1960 but isn't the 59 the most iconic?
Im a bit confused which one to choose unfortunately I can't try the 1960 I can only buy it online :(

Tim Plains

R9s will always be more desirable.

I think you're looking at this wrong. New Gibson guitars are not good financial investments, and you shouldn't play one you bought as an investment when future value is your primary concern. The way I look at it is the break even point is about 10 years later.

R0 necks are somewhat thin and too thin for me. If you can't play one first, maybe use sites like Mark's Guitar Loft that list neck measurements to give you an approximate idea.

Do you like thick or thin necks? That's really the question you should have started with.

TM1

I love my 2002 R-0 with the Birdseye top & Brazilian f/b! Kim @ Historic Makeovers did an amazing job on it about 10 years ago. I'll put it up against an original anyday. I've played enough originals to know(probably at least 50). Mine has a nice "V" shape to the neck in the nut to 8th/9th fret area and a set of original pots, a PAF in the bridge and an early Pat.# in the neck(only difference between it and a PAF is the decal, all original plastic except the pickup rings(I have ThroBak rings) and a set of originsl Pat. Pending Grover Rotomatics.

c_wester

Of your choices the one that sounds best.
You would be surprised with what crap one can stand out with if the guitar sounds great.

Bruce R

Do you like thick or thin necks? That's really the question you should have started with.

Bingo. Mark's Loft (he's great) can give you the data, but what size of neck do you want? What finish do you want? Budget? That's it!

Generally speaking, the primary difference between the model years is neck shape. R7's & R8's have fat necks, R0's have thin necks, R9's are in-between. In the 50's it wasn't as cut & dry. In recent years you can get any model year in any finish and with any top. R8's are everywhere but it R9's are all the rage these days (because original 59's are the most desirable? necks aren't too big or too thin?) and are quite plentiful. R0's are harder to find, but they are out there.

hydraman

Bingo. Mark's Loft (he's great) can give you the data, but what size of neck do you want? What finish do you want? Budget? That's it!

Generally speaking, the primary difference between the model years is neck shape. R7's & R8's have fat necks, R0's have thin necks, R9's are in-between. In the 50's it wasn't as cut & dry. In recent years you can get any model year in any finish and with any top. R8's are everywhere but it R9's are all the rage these days (because original 59's are the most desirable? necks aren't too big or too thin?) and are quite plentiful. R0's are harder to find, but they are out there.

So I guess the 59 is more demanded and better then the 60

Bruce R

So I guess the 59 is more demanded and better then the 60

The R9's are just very popular now and tend to be a bit pricier than the R8 and R0. I wouldn't say they are any "better" than an R0, just a little different in feel. There have been many changes & improvements to Historic/Custom Shop guitars over the last 20 years, but especially the last 5 years, that you will even find minor differences in a model year. As an example, an R8 was the model that usually had a plain (non-figured maple) top and a very large, rounded neck. But in recent years you can get them with flame tops and slightly thinner (chunky 50's) necks!

Settle on a budget, do your research, if possible play as many models as you can, and ask a lot of questions from the sellers!

El Gringo

Here is how I look at it . The 59 R9 has the fanciest tops . The 58 R8 has the biggest neck ( big plus for me ) the 60 R0 has the smallest profile neck and has nice tops . For me the best of both worlds would be the R8 profile large neck with the R9 fancy top . The R9 neck is in between the R8 large profile and the R0 smaller profile . Not to be redundant but if you can go to a shop that has the R series Les Paul's -do it and get a better feel for the neck size as it is a good amount of coin to spend and I would want you to have the best one that feels "perfect " in your left hand .