• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall JCM 800 2204 vs Fractal Ax8

Sectado

From Los Angeles to Buenos Aires
Marshall Jcm 800 2204 vs Fractal Ax8 Reamp
Guitarplayer: Burton Car IG @itsburton is also a guitarist for Radio Ritual IG @radioritual
Mixed and Mastered in Estudio Entretelones by Mariano Alvarez Cedro

Conclusions?

mdubya

Great job!

I am a Fractal fan boy (AX8 owner) and a 1976 JMP 2204 owner.

The 2204 in the AX8 is not my favorite Marshall type model, but it can be made to sound pretty damn good.

And while the real 2204 can sound pretty good at "at home" volumes, my current situation requires very low volume. What the AX8 can do is nothing short of amazing, at any volume. I use the AX8 #36 20 watt green back cab block in almost every Marshall type model. It sounds better than most real green back type speakers available.

rick c

These real amp vs modelling amp comparisons often miss the mark and are not true apples to apples tests. The way the amp modeler is amplified has much to do with this; the models have choices of a wide range of modeled amps, cabs and microphones so do you know if the exact amp/cab/microphone combination is being compared? Even when matched precisely, what are you then actually listening to for the comparison, the mix desk, real stage, monitor or a combination?

One thing that is rarely discussed on YouTube and other reviews of amp modeling equipment is their ability to be tuned to very exact sounds of your own personal equipment and set-up. I can only comment on my Fractal Axe FX II+ as I have not used others but my Axe FX can be connected to a real amp/cab using a microphone and sound-matched; you pick the Axe FX amp closest to the real one, this is how the modeler was set-up in the first place by Fractal, then pick the right setup options, play a little and let the software do it's job. This can also be done with guitars. The accuracy and repeatability of tone-matching has resulted in the success of modeling rack systems and their prolific use by so many musicians.

Last edited:

Texas Blues

Marshall 2204.

Because.

Ain't no womernz.

Takin' off panties for Fractal Ax8.

LeonC

From Los Angeles to Buenos Aires
Marshall Jcm 800 2204 vs Fractal Ax8 Reamp
Guitarplayer: Burton Car IG @itsburton is also a guitarist for Radio Ritual IG @radioritual
Mixed and Mastered in Estudio Entretelones by Mariano Alvarez Cedro

Conclusions?

I've got both here. I've been using the AX8 + a CLR powered speaker for the last couple years. I know that you can get something that's very close to the real thing. Ultimately the experience of the real amp blowing your pant legs is more fun and "better", IMO, but there are things you can do with the AX8 that make it very useful too. For recording, or ultra low volume, the AX8 and any good modeler is really a blast. It's also great at getting the same sound at a variety of volumes, just by "changing scenes" (button clicks)...something that's virtually impossible to do with a real amp. The AX8 is also a compromise worth considering if space or portability or volume are real concerns with live performance...otherwise, playing through an actual tube amp (whether it's a 2204 or whatever) will be more satisfying. My 2 cents, FWIW.