• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R6 VOS Gold Top weighing in at 9.7lbs??

Sol

I love posts like this where the OP gets the benefit of the TLPF combined experience, I've nothing to add, but I recall
Joe Bonamasser explaining that the lighter weight bursts have now been moved on in favour of weightier examples he prefers the tone of.

Sol

I have a '96 Les Paul Special double cut in TV Yellow. Made for around a year as a' 59 reissue, replaced with the Historic '60 reissue in' 98.

My Special comes in at 8lb, For a double cutaway that's heavy, oh by the way friends it has an abr-1 bridge.. However, good enough for Collings good enough for me I guess.

Days after buying it I was in a Welsh recording studio. Its performance in playback had us floored, it was assumed that the Les Paul Standard would be the better contrast to the Telecaster used through a vintage Fender Twin by the bands guitarist, but those P90' s Mahogany, and Vox AC30 sat in that mix so well we regretted leaving the Special on its stand so late in the recording process.

The question here is; would a 7lb DC Special have gone to tape better?
Of course It's an unanswerable question, within the music itself, the only context that really matters, the weight of a guitar is irrelevant.
Its the verse and chorus, not the pounds and ounces that really count.

222tweed

Its the verse and chorus, not the pounds and ounces that really count.[/QUOTE]

one of my favorite albums is by Genesis ...Selling England by the Pound

Last edited:

Sol

Its the verse and chorus, not the pounds and ounces that really count.

one of my favorite albums is by Genesis ...Selling England by the Pound[/QUOTE]

Have I accidentally quoted from a Genesis song ?

RockinRobert

I had a real 55 GT for about 15 years. It weighed a ton. Never weighed it but it had to be 10lb or more.