• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R6 VOS Gold Top weighing in at 9.7lbs??

mackaygtrs

Hello guys,

I am curious about my 2009 R6 VOS Gold Top weighing in at 9.7lbs (9lbs, 11.2oz.). I’ve never had an issue with weight but it seem one this heavy would be a bastard child to everyone. Plays amazing and sounds great to me and man, what a huge FAT neck this has. :yah.

Is the weight people complain about an actual weight issue because of playing live or is lighter better for tone.

I never really worried until I googled Gold Top Re-issues and all everyone talked about was how 8lb-8.5lb Pauls were the ones to have and anything over 9 was looked down on. I remember back when I was young the heavier the Paul the better, heavy was a thing back 30 years ago.

I have owned lots of Les Paul and currently still own 6

R6 Gold Top VOS
R7 LPB3 Black Custom 3-pickup
R9 Relic tea-burst
R0 light Cherry burst
91 Custom Cherry Burst
76 Custom Cherry Burst
Thanks

thin sissy

I wouldn't let it bother me, if it's a good guitar, it's good :yah !

My les pauls happen to be a bit lighter than that (mid 8 lbs on standards and mid 7 lbs on Jr) but I picked them on feel and sound, not on weight. Weight has probably been a little over "talked about", but that's just my personal opinion.

Come to think of it, if I buy another LP it would be cool to have something over 9 lbs just to get a different flavour of guitar. An old Deluxe would be cool!

mackaygtrs

I wouldn't let it bother me, if it's a good guitar, it's good :yah !

My les pauls happen to be a bit lighter than that (mid 8 lbs on standards and mid 7 lbs on Jr) but I picked them on feel and sound, not on weight. Weight has probably been a little over "talked about", but that's just my personal opinion.

Come to think of it, if I buy another LP it would be cool to have something over 9 lbs just to get a different flavour of guitar. An old Deluxe would be cool!

Thanks,

Yeah I had the exact same guitar but 2013 and it was around 8.5lbs. This one seems a bit darker sounding but feels real solid, has a great feel to go with the huge neck. I don't play out anymore and at over 50 old I pretty much sit and play now...lol so really if it weighted 12lbs it probably wouldn't matter. Was more curious if the weight police are into all this for the actual weight because of playing live or do they think lighter sounds better.

I guess its always a good excess to buy another one a bit lighter, right. lol

Tim Plains

Reissues are supposed to get lighter, "better" wood and people think of Norlin era boat anchor Les Pauls. There was a 2009 Pearly VOS that I saw for sale weighing 9.7 lbs, so don't worry about it.

Me, I just don't like overly heavy guitars. 9.5 lbs on a 4" leather strap is my limit, otherwise I start feeling it in my shoulder after playing standing for a while, and I don't buy into of the weight has anything to do with tone arguments.

goldtop0

I recently got a 335 it's at 8lb 14oz and I notice that when playing it at a gig up against my Tele and LPs that are 8lb or just over that.
If it's a good one keep it, however tone is not in it's weight or fatness of the neck........that's a popular misconception which was most probably put forward in the Gibson Norlin era when they produced boat anchors.

Gold Tone

Mass is relative to density
Density affects tone...weight doesn’t

The weight is being used to measure mass, relating to density, and giving ball park idea on what guitar will resonate like

The result on tone and which is better is the players call. They’re different, there is no hierarchical difference, purely subjective

rockabilly69

Hello guys,

I am curious about my 2009 R6 VOS Gold Top weighing in at 9.7lbs (9lbs, 11.2oz.). I’ve never had an issue with weight but it seem one this heavy would be a bastard child to everyone. Plays amazing and sounds great to me and man, what a huge FAT neck this has. :yah.

Is the weight people complain about an actual weight issue because of playing live or is lighter better for tone.

I never really worried until I googled Gold Top Re-issues and all everyone talked about was how 8lb-8.5lb Pauls were the ones to have and anything over 9 was looked down on. I remember back when I was young the heavier the Paul the better, heavy was a thing back 30 years ago.

I have owned lots of Les Paul and currently still own 6

R6 Gold Top VOS
R7 LPB3 Black Custom 3-pickup
R9 Relic tea-burst
R0 light Cherry burst
91 Custom Cherry Burst
76 Custom Cherry Burst
Thanks

I had one about an ounce heavier than yours and it had killer tone, but it was a back breaker:)

renderit

It REALLY does not matter one whit.

Some look for lighter and it seems to be a "thing".

Hell, I always post weights when I buy a new one, but mostly because I know the question will come up.

If the beast sounds good I'd keep it.

The old 68 Custom I had for years was over 11 pounds!

SUSTAIN FOR DAYS...

El Gringo

Myself I prefer a Les Paul to be 9lbs. I was going to give my personal thoughts on light vs. heavier , but I would get roasted so I will pass .

El Gringo

It REALLY does not matter one whit.

Some look for lighter and it seems to be a "thing".

Hell, I always post weights when I buy a new one, but mostly because I know the question will come up.

If the beast sounds good I'd keep it.

The old 68 Custom I had for years was over 11 pounds!

SUSTAIN FOR DAYS...

Oh yeah and that is a fact about the sustain .

axeman565758

Ive played great sounding LP's that were at or near 8 lbs and ones that were close to 10 lbs.
I had an amazing sounding 2000 R7 GT. One of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned....but it was a shoulder killer at gigs.
It weighed in around 9 1/2 lbs. Now I wont even consider a guitar if its over the 8 lb 13 ounce +/- range
Some guys love the heavier ones. Thats cool too. Play whatever feels good to you.

renderit

Ive played great sounding LP's that were at or near 8 lbs and ones that were close to 10 lbs.
I had an amazing sounding 2000 R7 GT. One of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned....but it was a shoulder killer at gigs.
It weighed in around 9 1/2 lbs. Now I wont even consider a guitar if its over the 8 lb 13 ounce +/- range
Some guys love the heavier ones. Thats cool too. Play whatever feels good to you.

And hence the reason I no longer have that '68.

gio

I recently picked up a 9.5 lb R6 in flame top darkburst. It sounds great and plays great. I have contemplated selling it because I might just have too many Les Pauls. But not because of the weight. My Warren Haynes signature Les Paul weighs in at just under 10 lbs and it sounds huge.

Some people don’t like the weight for gigging. I haven’t had an issue with my Haynes at gigs.

AA00475Bassman

I prefer a great sounding & playing guitars , so weight is secondary if a consideration at all . If you narrow the scope to weight limitations you certainly will miss out on some great guitar's . My 1998 historic firebird V weighs a ton sounds great IMO , My 2016 firebird V weight is under 7 pounds I really have to turn a lot of knobs and work it to get some good sound go figure .

PeteNJ75

Honestly 9.7 isn't that bad. My 2003 R7 Brazilian is my best-sounding Les Paul (out of the 11 I own), and is one I will never sell, and it weighs 9.6 lbs (9 lb 10 oz). I play 3 hour gigs and record with it regularly and I have herniated discs in my lower back. That said, those gigs are only once a week, and I'm alternating with my backup guitar depending on the song. I mean, it does get heavy after a while, but how often are you standing up playing one guitar for more than a couple hours at a time? Out of my other LPs, I have 4 right in the 9 lb range, and they feel and sound great to me. I also have several lighter R9s, including a 7 lb 14 oz R0, a Brazilian R9 right at 8 pounds even, and a chambered R8 that weighs 7 lbs 10 oz. They are all great guitars, the 8 pounder is my #1, but I will never turn down a great playing and sounding guitar unless it's over 10 pounds. That's where I draw my line, personally, but I've played a couple "boat anchor" 70s Customs that were amazing, so... that's a long way of saying I wouldn't get caught up in the "lighter Les Pauls are better" hype. It's not true, so if it plays and sounds great, keep it.

222tweed

I have a 58 vos standard and a 57 Gold Top vos. The 58 is around 9 pounds ( slightly sweeter ) the 57 gold top is around 9.3 ( more guts ) I chose them both for their sound. The 57 was picked out of 12 vos gold tops. I’m sure there are great sounding and lighter guitars but for me the medium plus weights are what I prefer. Also own a LP vos special that is not light either 8.9 or so. I enjoy the beefy neck, medium weight guitars every time.
I completely respect all the folks that like lighter guitars w smaller necks ie the 59 ...just my 4 cents

Last edited:

John550

I had an new '87 lp custom , 9 lbs 15 oz , sustain forever ! I think ( just my guess ) it was because the weight (considered average weight at the time ).

duaneflowers

My '06 R6 is 9.14 lbs... never really gave much thought to the weight, it sounds killer and that's what counts!! :salude