• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

490R Pickup Dates w stamped Gibson USA

rynomig

Just curious of the approx. years Gibson made the 490R's with Gibson USA stamped on the back. The person I got it off of said it came out of the middle pickup for an SG. Not sure of the exact year. After reviewing some threads it seems they started stamping Gibson USA on the back of pickups in the late 80's? and if so until when?
IMG_20200709_022150209.jpgIMG_20200709_022059138.jpg

AJCR

I didn't think the 490's even came about until the 90's.
The Bill Lawrence circuitboard ones were introduced in 88, and I'm sure they lasted into 89.
I think the very first 490 series pickups used up the old leftover Shaw era type baseplates first.....but they had the double drilling for R and T spacing. Then the embossed baseplates started.

rynomig

I didn't think the 490's even came about until the 90's.
The Bill Lawrence circuitboard ones were introduced in 88, and I'm sure they lasted into 89.
I think the very first 490 series pickups used up the old leftover Shaw era type baseplates first.....but they had the double drilling for R and T spacing. Then the embossed baseplates started.

Ok thanks for the info...I was able to get a hold of the guy I bought it from and he thinks its from 2006, it was the middle pickup of an SG3. So got the info I was looking for.

AJCR

No Prob,

They are a very consistent pickup, so an older one would be just the same as a newer one. So its not like the 57 classic - which was watered down in their spec to fit into cheaper guitars over time.