• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Blacklight Neck Joint Funny Business (help identifying)

grantgreen

Hi all,

I got this old 64 ES-345, which under a blacklight, shows some funny business going on around the neck joint. See photos below. I haven't seen a ton of vintage guitars under blacklight; I can pick out when something's off but can't always diagnose exactly what's been done.

So what are we looking at here? A neck replacement? A neck reset? None of the above? The headstock has also been repaired (noted in another thread) but it does not glow green like the rest of the guitar, including the neck joint pictured. So if something (or rather, whatever) has been done at the joint, it wasn't done in the same way, or perhaps at the same time, as the headstock; because other than these little smudges, the body and the neck (including the joint) glow the same tint of green.

What do you guys think?

IMG-7745.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-7744.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-7746.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG-7747.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EdmundGTP

Was the headstock re-finished when the break was fixed? If so it's possible that the entire neck was re-finished and what you're seeing is a transition area from newer lacquer to old.

grantgreen

Was the headstock re-finished when the break was fixed? If so it's possible that the entire neck was re-finished and what you're seeing is a transition area from newer lacquer to old.

The headstock was refinished but in opaque black and only down to around the 1st-2nd fret. I wouldn't rule out the that the neck and/or body was oversprayed maybe at some point but not sure how that would explain the photos...?

The photos make the rest of the neck look smudgier than it is; in reality it's really even mint green up and down except for just a line and a small amount of smudge as shown