• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VoxV846-HW vs. CryBaby CM95 Clyde McCoy

turgut

Hello everyone,

Recently I decided to acquire a wah pedal and since I like all the late 60's - early 70's music like Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc... I ended up with two potential purchases: either the Vox V846 hand-wired or the Jim Dunlop CryBaby CM95 Clyde McCoy. The Vox stands out for me because, well, its the original wah brand/model. The CryBaby stands out because JD Simo (who is my favorite contemporary guitarist) recommends it.

I could not find a comparison video or forum thread online, and need some help deciding. Have you owned/played these wah's? Which one do you like more? Why? Are there other alternatives I should consider which roughly suits my tastes?

My rig: Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016 + Fender Blues Junior I

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

TM1

I have the Handwired and a couple of old CryBaby’s. I wasn’t thrilled with the Handwired and I ended up swapping out a lot of parts to make it sound like an old/original one. I found that the pot made a huge difference and ended up using a 200k pot!

Big Al

I've got a bunch of wah's. I still have a few of my old Thomas Organ Wahs from the early/mid 70's and one from a little bit later, (77?), I can't remember exactly when I bought 'em all new. Those sound right too my ears and served me well. I found older vintage pedals, including a Clyde McCoy, and sold them as the old Cry Baby had the tone .

I was not impressed with the Dunlop versions and got tired trying the hundred or so variations trying to match my old ones. I did buy and use the VOX 847 when they came out and the sound the same. Hand wired means they can get more $$ but they don't sound better.

If you want classic get the standard VOX with the chrome trim, the 847 I think. If you want the best look at JAM Pedals Wacko Wah.

garywright

fwiw, I had an early 70s KingWah and loved it ...I used it very little and stupidly sold it :##

Deus91

Hello everyone,

Recently I decided to acquire a wah pedal and since I like all the late 60's - early 70's music like Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc... I ended up with two potential purchases: either the Vox V846 hand-wired or the Jim Dunlop CryBaby CM95 Clyde McCoy. The Vox stands out for me because, well, its the original wah brand/model. The CryBaby stands out because JD Simo (who is my favorite contemporary guitarist) recommends it.

I could not find a comparison video or forum thread online, and need some help deciding. Have you owned/played these wah's? Which one do you like more? Why? Are there other alternatives I should consider which roughly suits my tastes?

My rig: Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016 + Fender Blues Junior I

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
My Picture Wah, by Kyle Chase. He builds quality stuff.
Looks good and sounds good.
bBfmpM3.jpg