• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Early 60s pickup cover question

grantgreen

So we all know that in 65(-ish) Gibson switched from nickel to chrome pickup covers.

What about the gold covers? Did they switch over as well or is a 62 gold cover identical to a 68 gold cover?

Thanks!

OKGuitar

An early gold cover is not the same as a later one. They stayed the same from 57 until some time in the mid 60's-probably late 65 or 66. At that point, the size of the cover changed-they are deeper. The top edge also is somewhat rounder. If you look at a t-top with the cover still on you will see that there is a lot of cover showing above the solder that holds the cover on. On a PAF or early patent the edge of the cover is nearly flush with the edge of the pickup itself. Like most things Gibson in the 60's, there is little consistency. I've seen deep and shallow chrome covers during the 60's. I've never seen a deep nickel cover. Most of the gold ones from the later 60's seem to be the deeper ones. Changes to gold hardware usually lagged behind nickel and chrome because gold parts were used less frequently.

Last edited:

grantgreen

An early gold cover is not the same as a later one. They stayed the same from 57 until some time in the mid 60's-probably late 65 or 66. At that point, the size of the cover changed-they are deeper. The top edge also is somewhat rounder. If you look at a t-top with the cover still on you will see that there is a lot of cover showing above the solder that holds the cover on. On a PAF or early patent the edge of the cover is nearly flush with the edge of the pickup itself. Like most things Gibson in the 60's, there is little consistency. I've seen deep and shallow chrome covers during the 60's. I've never seen a deep nickel cover. Most of the gold ones from the later 60's seem to be the deeper ones. Changes to gold hardware usually lagged behind nickel and chrome because gold parts were used less frequently.

Super informative. Thanks for this!