• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Walsh......on a Conversion?

Minibucker

I know that there's a CC based on how 1960 Burst.....but just noticed this one from a 1975 Concert. Anyone have the skinny on this one...a conversion? Has a wraparound stop bridge.....

At 25:36 in case it doesn't go right there.....

https://youtu.be/GvughKkv3AI?t=1536

Also Glenn Frey at 33:40, looks to be on a burst...maybe it was Felder's.

Bob Womack

In that time Joe had a '70s LP and a 1960 LP and switched back and forth on "Rocky Mountain Way." I think Frey is playing the Walsh Burst - very stripey. I understand it lives in France now. You can sees it on the record sleeve of the 1975 vinyl release of Walsh's album, So What. The custom shop guitar was based on it.

Bob

Minibucker

In that time Joe had a '70s LP and a 1960 LP and switched back and forth on "Rocky Mountain Way." I think Frey is playing the Walsh Burst - very stripey. I understand it lives in France now. You can sees it on the record sleeve of the 1975 vinyl release of Walsh's album, So What. The custom shop guitar was based on it.

Bob
Very cool. Reason why I asked is that in this vid, he's got what looks to be a sunburst Les Paul with a wraparound bridge like a '54, so that's why I was wondering if it was a conversion, and if anyone had any info on it.

qCQX71w.jpg

Bob Womack

You've got me there. The '70s LP ended up wearing a concho instead of a poker chip in the concert that came with the History of the Eagles. Around '74 he was using one of the flat-faced mahogany '55 reissues with a wrap-over. This one? Not sure.

Bob

Minibucker

You've got me there. The '70s LP ended up wearing a concho instead of a poker chip in the concert that came with the History of the Eagles. Around '74 he was using one of the flat-faced mahogany '55 reissues with a wrap-over. This one? Not sure.

Bob
Looks pretty sweet! And set up for slide, too. Can't find anything on it through google search, I'd say it's probably a '54 conversion like Beck's Oxblood, but with a burst refinish.

By the way, just saw a recent Eagles Live at LA Forum last night on ESPN. Glenn Frey's son Deacon was filling in some...good singer, kind of a combination of dad and a little Waylon Jennings. For a few songs, he played what looks to be Glenn's modified Black LP Jr. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Bob Womack

By the way, just saw a recent Eagles Live at LA Forum last night on ESPN. Glenn Frey';s son Deacon was filling in some...good singer, kind of a combination of dad and a little Waylon Jennings. For a few songs, he played what looks to be Glenn's modified Black LP Jr. Pretty cool.
Yep... that looked like Glenn's Frankenstein to me, too!

Bob

fernieite

Cool, thanks for posting the link!

Were lots of shops/luthiers doing conversions back then? I wonder if Lay's was a possibility? (Walsh did have them mod Page's LP a few years earlier)

Cant make out an off-center seem on the top, but it might be there.

Could it be a burst modified with a wraparound? :)

Minibucker

Cool, thanks for posting the link!

Were lots of shops/luthiers doing conversions back then? I wonder if Lay's was a possibility? (Walsh did have them mod Page's LP a few years earlier)

Cant make out an off-center seem on the top, but it might be there.

Could it be a burst modified with a wraparound? :)
Like maybe one that originally came with a Bigsby? Interesting.

El Gringo

I remember Glenn Frye song in the 80's - The Heat is On , the solo I believe he played it on a P-90 loaded Les Paul Special ? What a well done and recorded solo on P-90's . If anyone knows more info about this I would be interested please . I also seem to remember that this was a refinished guitar

El Gringo

There it is and for a budget/student model as Gibson intended it to be this P-90 instrument brings the tone =serious tone . Thank You Kindly for posting it !

Minibucker

Glenn had some notable solos over the years, like the 'A' solo in Already Gone, I think. He stuck with that Frankenstein Junior the whole time, but it just worked...had a real simple good tone that came through when need be. That's a great thing about the Eagles, each guitarist knew where to sit in the mix....distinct but in perfect harmony.

El Gringo

Glenn had some notable solos over the years, like the 'A' solo in Already Gone, I think. He stuck with that Frankenstein Junior the whole time, but it just worked...had a real simple good tone that came through when need be. That's a great thing about the Eagles, each guitarist knew where to sit in the mix....distinct but in perfect harmony.

So true , and how Glenn and Don Felder and Joe Walsh each know how not to step on to each others solos or overpower each other really was an art form .Too bad Don Henley and Glenn Frye kicked out Don Felder when he was asking for more money or a raise and replaced him with a country slinger that can really play .

Minibucker

So true , and how Glenn and Don Felder and Joe Walsh each know how not to step on to each others solos or overpower each other really was an art form .Too bad Don Henley and Glenn Frye kicked out Don Felder when he was asking for more money or a raise and replaced him with a country slinger that can really play .
At this point they're just playing the songs straight off the record, which is fine they've earned that and that's what audiences want. So although Felder is great, musically it's not really missing him when those other guys can just mimic those lines note for note since they are such accomplished players. I would have liked seeing Vince Gil do like his own version of some of those songs, but again that's not the mission statement.

The Hell Freezes Over tour was great when they did Hotel California 'unplugged'.

After watching the Eagles documentary, it was clear to me that if I were in a band with Glenn Frey, we would have literally gotten into at least a few fistfights. BUT.....you NEED a bulldog leader like that too, so I would have appreciated that just as much.

El Gringo

At this point they're just playing the songs straight off the record, which is fine they've earned that and that's what audiences want. So although Felder is great, musically it's not really missing him when those other guys can just mimic those lines note for note since they are such accomplished players. I would have liked seeing Vince Gil do like his own version of some of those songs, but again that's not the mission statement.

The Hell Freezes Over tour was great when they did Hotel California 'unplugged'.

After watching the Eagles documentary, it was clear to me that if I were in a band with Glenn Frey, we would have literally gotten into at least a few fistfights. BUT.....you NEED a bulldog leader like that too, so I would have appreciated that just as much.

The thing that jumped out at me about the documentary was that it was Glenn Frye and not Don Henley being the big D . Vince Gill was the one that I would have loved to see play with the Eagles , as he can play with the best of them and then some . 26 years ago was the hell freezes over tour and what a magnificent show it was , almost like going back in time to the Eagles heyday . Friends of mine complained about paying the $125 ticket price , which the Stones later in the summer were charging $150 bucks . So the Eagles couldn't get all that blame as Mick Jagger likes the money . Do you remember the U shaped pedal chain that Joe Walsh had on stage ? Wow ! he must have had at least 50 pedals or something like that ? Don Felder with the double neck 6/12 Gibson , Joe Walsh with his Burst and that Tele and that sound is Tele magic . 2 years prior to that Joe Walsh and Glenn Frey played together in 1992 on a cold and rainy and damp night and they brought the magic . Never did I think I would get to see the whole band of Eagles together , which was a night I will not forget !

Last edited:

Minibucker

The thing that jumped out at me about the documentary was that it was Glenn Frye and not Don Henley being the big D .
To me it was essentially like Glenn is the man and Henley is the woman in a powerful duo that's brilliant yet self-destructive and often toxic to those around. Frey being the more confrontational and bull-headed one, and Henley being more about passive-aggressiveness and condescension. Like you'd want to slap Henley, but you'd want to outright punch Frey.

Yeah I remember it was nice to see Joe pull out the Tele Custom again. I think seeing the actual video of Hotel California live back in the 70's, as a budding guitar player, was the first time I said "Hey...a Telecaster can ROCK!", and wasn't just twangy country....but only if you made a lot of funny faces while playing it.

Last edited:

Minibucker

You can see it just above the knobs at 25:47.
Nice catch...those stupid lower-3rd titles block a lot of stuff, but yeah it's quite obvious. So I guess that points more to it being a conversion. Interesting to see one in '75.

El Gringo

To me it was essentially like Glenn is the man and Henley is the woman in a powerful duo that's brilliant yet self-destructive and often toxic to those around. Frey being the more confrontational and bull-headed one, and Henley being more about passive-aggressiveness and condescension. Like you'd want to slap Henley, but you'd want to outright punch Frey.

Yeah I remember it was nice to see Joe pull out the Tele Custom again. I think seeing the actual video of Hotel California live back in the 70's, as a budding guitar player, was the first time I said "Hey...a Telecaster can ROCK!", and wasn't just twangy country....but only if you made a lot of funny faces while playing it.

Pretty wild how the Eagles started out as a backup band for Linda Ronstadt . I agree about the Telecaster as I thought the same thing that it was a guitar for the Country & Western guys . Then Keith Richards turned my head and ears around to the wonders and abilities of Leo's Telecaster . As a kid the 2nd guitar I purchased after My Gibson Les Paul Custom was a Stratocaster as I was trying to do the Jimi thing ( as if I could play like that ! ) and never ever expected to like a Telecaster to fork over the bucks for it and now I have not 1 Telecaster but 3 . Go figure ! Joe Walsh can play and then some and talk about the facial expressions like he is the guitarist of facial expressions only second to Joe Cocker . I always thought he was just getting into his music and feeling the vibes and many years later did I learn of his medical condition . Seen him once and what a show that was !