• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Walsh......on a Conversion?

El Gringo

Also lest we forget that Joe Walsh was the one that gave Jimmy Page his Vintage Gibson Sunburst Les Paul , which is Jimmy Page's # 1 Les Paul . I wish I had friends like Joe Walsh !

Minibucker

Also lest we forget that Joe Walsh was the one that gave Jimmy Page his Vintage Gibson Sunburst Les Paul , which is Jimmy Page's # 1 Les Paul . I wish I had friends like Joe Walsh !
And Townsend's Gretsch 6120/Fender Bandmaster for Who's Next.

Oh and when my mom agreed to buy me an electric guitar as a very young kid, in the shop was a used white/rosewood board Tele, maybe '64-'66, and it had some substantial play wear...chipped paint et al. The store was asking like $350 and I laughed at it, wanting to see new Ibanez's (!!). I'm still crying about it.

Early Eagles Live with Linda Ronstadt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpoaqtThy50

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
To me it was essentially like Glenn is the man and Henley is the woman in a powerful duo that's brilliant yet self-destructive and often toxic to those around. Frey being the more confrontational and bull-headed one, and Henley being more about passive-aggressiveness and condescension. Like you'd want to slap Henley, but you'd want to outright punch Frey.

The "thing" with Frey is that the Eagles really "got", and completely devoted themselves to, the idea of a maximally professional presentation. The only way to do this is the same way every other outfit has (like Duke, Basie, Glenn Miller--who really WAS a king-size asshole): maximum discipline, and zero tolerance of mistakes. The early 70's didn't exactly embrace that ethos, so people got pissy that Frey wasn't loosy-goosy about things--tough shit.

The result is that the Eagles in the mid-Seventies were a sight to behold! They were all around thirty years old--in their prime, and unstoppable. Back then, the Eagles, Springsteen, and the Who were just on a level that, honestly, has never been surpassed. I thank my lucky stars I had a chance to be inspired, really musically transported, by those unforgettable shows.

Minibucker

The "thing" with Frey is that the Eagles really "got", and completely devoted themselves to, the idea of a maximally professional presentation. The only way to do this is the same way every other outfit has (like Duke, Basie, Glenn Miller--who really WAS a king-size asshole): maximum discipline, and zero tolerance of mistakes. The early 70's didn't exactly embrace that ethos, so people got pissy that Frey wasn't loosy-goosy about things--tough shit.

The result is that the Eagles in the mid-Seventies were a sight to behold! They were all around thirty years old--in their prime, and unstoppable. Back then, the Eagles, Springsteen, and the Who were just on a level that, honestly, has never been surpassed. I thank my lucky stars I had a chance to be inspired, really musically transported, by those unforgettable shows.
Yep, that's what a leader often has to do. Tough while you're going through it, but looking back you'll appreciate that it got the most out of you. But you have to take breaks too, or it will just get too much. Plus the Eagles were essentially all band leaders and certainly all accomplished musicians in their own right, so a Walsh put it when everyone's an 'alpha' they're going to butt heads. Bands are tough things to stick with.

Other thing about the Eagles is that they were never really a 'Jam Band' like the Allman Bros, despite having these wonderful musicians. So I could see that getting kind of constrictive after some time just doing the same things live and having to be so precise. Of course it was optimal for the fans, but I could imagine someone like Felder feeling like he wanted to bust out more.

Last edited: