• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

M-69 Rings

M-69 Rings RetroSpec or CreamTone?

Hi everyone,
Like many of us I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of vintage correct plastics and parts for my Les Paul. The final pieces I need to swap out are the pick up rings. Considering I am notoriously indecisive I was hoping for some input. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to a set of rings from CreamTone or a set of rings from RetroSpec (Historic Makeover). I understand that there are some really good options other than these two companies including ThroBak and OTP, however I refuse to pay more than $150 for a set of aged rings. In fact I can’t even believe I’m willing to pay that much for some plastic...

If you have experience with either let me know. I just want the one with the most accurate color and construction.

Last edited:

Brian H

I can’t seem to ever get an email response from Creamtone. Tried twice over several months. Tried calling once but admittedly didn’t leave a VM.

I can’t seem to ever get an email response from Creamtone. Tried twice over several months. Tried calling once but admittedly didn’t leave a VM.
I’ve done business with Lonnie several times. They've normally been extremely quick with service and response times but I agree with what you said as of recently. I have called them three times and left two voicemails as well as several emails over the last month or so. No response. I know that they’re ungodly busy right now but it’s unlike them not to respond.

Out of fairness, I haven’t heard from Kim at Historic Makeovers either. But they did ship my last order or parts quickly 🤷🏽

Bruce R

(Post was duplicated for some reason, so I deleted it)

elcidd

The Absolute Vintage rings from Creamtone are nice. I could be wrong, but I believe they are actually Whizz rings.

No issues with product, excellent quality. However, I've never had any luck in response to emails, or to PMs sent through facebook. FWIW, it took over a week for my most recent order to actually ship. Rings are cool though.

Definitely contact Gord Miller, distributor of Montreux/RetroVibe rings & parts. I sent him an email and was talking to him on the phone placing my M69 order by the end of the day. Here's a link for his contact information:

https://gmvintagerestorations.com/montreux-aged-guitar-parts/new-and-aged-gibson-style-parts/
Your post couldn’t come at a better time. I was just looking at some RetroVibe rings online. People seem to have a lot of positive things to say about them and they’re in my price range so I will definitely give Gord Miller an email!

TM1

Ya know folks..... I’m sure that guys like Kim & Lonnie have families that they love to spend time with, so expecting people to reply to your email & queries right away isn’t fair to them..especially on a Holiday....

Brian H

You must have missed where I said I emailed Creamtone over several months with no response.

boogieongtr

I use Thro Bak rings on all my projects. Here are the unaged rings next to the original rings on my 1960 Les Paul in pic. The lightly aged rings are even closer.

IMG_1135.jpg

Ya know folks..... I’m sure that guys like Kim & Lonnie have families that they love to spend time with, so expecting people to reply to your email & queries right away isn’t fair to them..especially on a Holiday....

I completely understand this, but as Brian also said, we've been emailing Lonnie and Kim for months with no response. To be specific, Creamtone hasn't been answering my emails, or any of my friends emails, since March. However, they did ship my order last week just one hour after submitting it. So looks like they are in the shop after all. :hmm Out of complete fairness, I did finally hear back from Kim over the phone just the other night and had a very productive and meaningful conversation with him. As so many other people have stated, the man is a wealth of knowledge and is generous with his time once you get ahold of him. I've only ever had positive experiences with Historic Makeovers/Retrospec and Creamtone, but it can be tough to do business sometimes when you can't get ahold of anyone.

After a tip from @BGReed2, I got in contact with Gord Miller. Super nice guy and easy to deal with. He set me up with a set of aged rings that will be here next week. I'll be sure to update you all with some photos and my thoughts once I get them installed.

Minibucker

In MLP forum there have ben a couple threads expressing chagrin over Creamtone's service recently, but also ver6 recently it looks like things tat people ordered are arriving so maybe they're back into sth swing of things. I only ordered a few things from them early on before all this, and before all the expensive stuff.