• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Odd 60s 345/335

liams2230

For $1200....giddyup.

You'll appreciate that rear panel access when you start to look at the pickup/switch wiring.

The BB King Lucille model has an access panel like that, no shame in that. I wouldn't try to "fix" that.

The janky crooked tuners and that extra switch would have to go.

Other than that, I'd just play the thing.

Very curious to see what pickups are in it!!

I checked the one today. One was a DiMarzio and the other I have no idea of, I could care less lol.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Get it! That is a good deal for player grade vintage. The wiring is an easy fix with the hole in the back. Pickups and a few parts, level and dress the frets and add a stop tail and you have a vintage guitar that won’t break the bank. I have 4 player grade ES-335’s from this era. None were this rough but none had all the parts, the lowest I paid was $2100 about 5 years ago.

darkwave

Did anybody else notice that while it is strung up righty, the TOM appears to be angled for a lefty? The saddles even look lefty to me at first glance. I’d be amazed if that thing could be set up properly as-is.

Better add a bridge reposition to your job list (but I still think $1,200 is a great deal if you’re into it).

- Douglas C.

darkwave

Did anybody else notice that while it is strung up righty, the TOM appears to be angled for a lefty? The saddles even look lefty to me at first glance. I’d be amazed if that thing could be set up properly as-is.

Better add a bridge reposition to your job list (but I still think $1,200 is a great deal if you’re into it).

- Douglas C.

Just looked again and realized it is a Nashville, not a TOM. I’m wondering if the bridge pickup might be an old Schecter SuperRock?

- Douglas C.

Last edited:

Flogger

If the neck is a 66 it must be pretty early, the crown inlay hasn't dropped.

Mr. 355

I believe I detect bushings into which the bridge posts are inserted. It may just be the photos, but it also appears to me as though the bridge has been angled backwards, as though for a lefty set up. That is a problem. That notwithstanding, I would buy this guitar, just remove the switch and cover it with a pickguard, patch the binding and get it playing well. That access panel in the back is your best friend, believe me. What you want to check out in so far as the headstock repair is concerned is whether it is affecting the truss rod function. Hard to see the break in the pictures.

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Wow, good catch gents...definitely a lefty bridge. Again, for the price not a deal breaker and easy fix by good luthier

I’d still buy it!

liams2230

I believe I detect bushings into which the bridge posts are inserted. It may just be the photos, but it also appears to me as though the bridge has been angled backwards, as though for a lefty set up. That is a problem. That notwithstanding, I would buy this guitar, just remove the switch and cover it with a pickguard, patch the binding and get it playing well. That access panel in the back is your best friend, believe me. What you want to check out in so far as the headstock repair is concerned is whether it is affecting the truss rod function. Hard to see the break in the pictures.

You are right. It played ok when I was there.

liams2230

Intonation would be the issue, shouldn’t affect playability per se. Be sure to check where the neck break is relative to the trust rod adjustment.

It's not a complete break, just a crack which is noticeable and not that deep, really.

liams2230

So today I bought my first Gibson and it's vintage! I bought a 1966 ES-335 with a Varitone! The choke is missing, any replacement options? I got it for $1,100 without tax and a big ass flight case. Other pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/F8NhnDe

35oeBMe.jpg

brandtkronholm

Awesome!

Since there's no Varitone choke, it's up to you how to replace or modify. You could put a toggle for phase, kill, mid boost (like a PRS sweet-switch) a master volume, coil tap...the imagination runs wild with possibilities.

I couldn't imagine restoring it to original '66 spec. It seems more like an invitation, a blank canvas and an opportunity to really make it your guitar. I think this makes you double lucky!

However, I'd think that having a luthier get a good look at the neck crack and re-setting the bridge to right-handed would be the first order of business.

Please post a picture of the flight case! (Is there any stenciling on it?)

Awesome!

deytookerjaabs

I'd score a pickguard, some pat#'s, get a bigsby, replace the vari, wire it mono w/bypass and you've got a gosh darn beast on your hands.

Congrats, that's the way to do it! :salude

liams2230

Awesome!

Since there's no Varitone choke, it's up to you how to replace or modify. You could put a toggle for phase, kill, mid boost (like a PRS sweet-switch) a master volume, coil tap...the imagination runs wild with possibilities.

I couldn't imagine restoring it to original '66 spec. It seems more like an invitation, a blank canvas and an opportunity to really make it your guitar. I think this makes you double lucky!

However, I'd think that having a luthier get a good look at the neck crack and re-setting the bridge to right-handed would be the first order of business.

Please post a picture of the flight case! (Is there any stenciling on it?)

Awesome!

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/7159745999?action=display&go=display

I'm selling it on my CL, here it is!