• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which one as your first Marshall combo amp: bluesbraker or 18w?

luizhmax

Hi, I play my les paul only at home through a reissue Fender Champ 5w. Now I'm planning to buy a Marshall combo amp. Which one would you choose and why? The Bluesbraker 2x12" 30w or the 1974x 18w 1x12". Both stock and reissues. Thank you.

AA00475Bassman

!8 watt is what I use still very loud , I like natural breakup a BB would be way to loud IMO .

Deus91

Agree the Bluesbraker can get loud but the KT66 is such
a wonderful tube.
rcWSQw8.jpg
q5q7Gd1.jpg

zacknorton

I'd say go with the 18 watt.

I had an excellent sounding early re-issue of the BB with old speakers and it was a wonderful amp.

Really LOUD and powerful. even with a loud gigging rock band, it was mostly mostly clean.

The 18 watt is still going to be plenty loud.

Midnight Blues

I agree with AA00475Bassman. I have a 1974X , which I love. It has great tone and it's plenty loud. If you're playing at home, I would suggest this vs. a 1962.

goldtop0

As above the '74X all day long for home and gigging if you do, a truly great ri from Marshall.
Put an old '60s Celestion alnico speaker in it,preferably, (but a Blue will do also) for even more richness of tone.

Deus91

As above the '74X all day long for home and gigging if you do, a truly great ri from Marshall.
Put an old '60s Celestion alnico speaker in it,preferably, (but a Blue will do also) for even more richness of tone.
Absolutely, would really be a very nice combination.
Here is a pair from 1966, from my stash.
IpVzEuh.jpg

luizhmax

Forgive me my lack of experience with this, but wouldn't installing the 15w blue celestion to be a problem in a 18w amp?

goldtop0

Forgive me my lack of experience with this, but wouldn't installing the 15w blue celestion to be a problem in a 18w amp?

Realistically the Blue is a 20 watt speaker, Celestions power rating is very conservative.
But if that is a worry for you there's the Ruby alnico at 35w.

PaulD

As above. I've used many Celestion Blue's in 18 - 20 watt amps with no problems whatsoever. Of course it probably depends on how you are using the amp, if you constantly have the amp turned up to maximum volume and are hitting lots of power chords it's probably going to pushing it a bit, but most people probably don't use their amps like this all the time.