• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eastern or western maple on my 2009 5Oth anniversary Gold certificate

David Tubes

Hello there,
This my first post on this forum that I'm reading for years !

I've got this 2009 R9 for a week. SN 9 9008 I guess #8 of the 500 dark bursts.

I can't decide myself if it is an eastern maple top with no flecks at all or
a 3D western top ?

The figured maple is realy 3D in person and moves under the light.

Please enlight me.

Question 2 :

What about the wawy checking filling the grain ? Will it get realy worst ?
Was it a cold temperature or a Gilbon nitro flaw ? Maybe it normal, it looks cool BTW.

This is a great sounding R9 now with a set of OX4 hot duane (with cover).

Thanks.

David from France

20200621_120843.jpg20200621_121112.jpg20200621_121013.jpgcase.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

Quartersawn Western Big Leaf Maple, typical top.

El Gringo

Western Big Leaf Maple as Big Al says and if I may add from the state of Washington as told to me last September during my visit to Gibson Custom .

El Gringo

Thanks. Unusual on a R9 ?

What about the checkling ?

The checking is pretty normal and really nothing to be concerned about structurally wise as this occurs during shifts in temperature or from more humid air to drier air . At home during the winter heating season when the air gets dry I run two humidifiers to protect against necks going out of whack and finish checks . The checking didn't look bad to my eyes and pretty normal .

David Tubes

Western Big Leaf Maple as Big Al says and if I may add from the state of Washington as told to me last September during my visit to Gibson Custom .

Thanks ! Very precise location.

I guessed eastern only on R9.

My other R9 (on the top ! image turns when dowloaded) is typical eastern : no pores and some minéral imperfections, and my 2003 R8 (under ) is for me typical western and do not looks like this "new"2009. (les 3D, and less move under the light )

20190302_161047.jpg

Last edited:

David Tubes

Why a different bridge?

Got it on the bench when I swap pups ... it a locking Faber one? I also put iron studs for the tailpiece.
The gotho mechanics are locking too.
Vintage original 22nf an 10nf Caps too beetween the CTS TVT (realy better clarity and control with the OX4 hot duane).
This R9 will be a RnR player but I try to keep the look as vintage as possible.
20200621_120816.jpg20200702_205720.jpg

BTW why my pics are turned when downloaded ?

Attachments

• 20200621_120825.jpg
    20200621_120825.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Big Al

The degree of depth and movement of figure is independent of wood species. It is much more comon to find intense figure in Big Leaf Maple and it also takes stain easily, (not so with Eastern Rock Maple), which allowed for the "enhanced" tops of 90's reissues. The more perfect quartersawn tops will show little movement and will appear very straight. You guitar shows "Roll", but not movement. It will appear the same from all angles and the stripes will roll when you hold it and shift angles.

Eastern will move, changing figure entirely, looking like completely different tops from different angles and Flash. Easier to see than explain. Also, highest grade and quality Eastern Maple has no flecks or mineral streaks.

The often vivid straight flame on Big Leaf Maple, from edge to edge is popular with many and it's greater availability is why this historically incorrect wood was used. AFAIK, all R9 from 2013 on are Eastern. Before that it was mixed. I've seen Big Leaf used on M2M and Dealer Select or hand picked runs though.

Gold Tone

The majority of the 50th Ann were Western Big Leaf. I owned one for a short time...looked very much like yours but a lighter coloured burst

El Gringo

The degree of depth and movement of figure is independent of wood species. It is much more comon to find intense figure in Big Leaf Maple and it also takes stain easily, (not so with Eastern Rock Maple), which allowed for the "enhanced" tops of 90's reissues. The more perfect quartersawn tops will show little movement and will appear very straight. You guitar shows "Roll", but not movement. It will appear the same from all angles and the stripes will roll when you hold it and shift angles.

Eastern will move, changing figure entirely, looking like completely different tops from different angles and Flash. Easier to see than explain. Also, highest grade and quality Eastern Maple has no flecks or mineral streaks.

The often vivid straight flame on Big Leaf Maple, from edge to edge is popular with many and it's greater availability is why this historically incorrect wood was used. AFAIK, all R9 from 2013 on are Eastern. Before that it was mixed. I've seen Big Leaf used on M2M and Dealer Select or hand picked runs though.

I know you hate this but this is a perfect example of your perfect genius and expert status , and I am in awe as always and wish I knew half as much as you .

El Gringo

Also as I was told last September Gibson Custom stopped using the enhancer (because I asked , I guess it's bad stuff ? environment wise ? ) . Was it Naptha ? That stuff can sure make the figure "pop" and who doesn't love those hot and wild tops from the 90's ? I wish I had some .