• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90 junior and klon centaur pedal?

joeperry

Hi there, hope everybody’s doing fine.
Well it Seems That most of the vids I find on YouTube of the Klon centaur are tested with either hb or sc pus.
I’m curious to know if anyone here uses a Klon with p90’s and if so is the pedal more preferable with other pu’s than the p90?
Description, pros/cons videos or sound samples would be greatly appreciated:)
I’m asking because I have an original 55’ les Paul junior and would love to try it through a Klon centaur but no one here in Denmark seems to have gotten their hands on one of these so I’m not able to test it myself:(
Last: anyone here know where to find an early gold Klon long tail For sale?

Best regards
Torben

zhivago

I use a '56 LP Custom with a silver Klon Centaur. Usually through a Matchless Lightning.

Sounds great to my ears. Maybe try a Clone first to see if you like the Klon circuit before splashing out?

I've had my Klon for many, many years, and would never part with it. :salude

joeperry

I use a '56 LP Custom with a silver Klon Centaur. Usually through a Matchless Lightning.

Sounds great to my ears. Maybe try a Clone first to see if you like the Klon circuit before splashing out?

I've had my Klon for many, many years, and would never part with it. :salude

THANKS zhivago!🙏🏽
Would you happen to have any sound clips with that combination, available to listen to?
I’d love to try one but it seems no one here in denmark has one I can try🥺
As mentioned it seems rather limited finding videos of the p90/Klon used together, so was getting curious if the Klon Was better Suited for hb or sc pu’s🤔
Do you use it as a clean boost or...?
Best regards
Torben

corpse

My buddy has a gold one and multiple old and new P90 guitars. It is what you imagine- just do it.
But you will have to turn around- it feeds back like a bestid. That's why they made HB's.

zhivago

THANKS zhivago!🙏🏽
Would you happen to have any sound clips with that combination, available to listen to?
I’d love to try one but it seems no one here in denmark has one I can try🥺
As mentioned it seems rather limited finding videos of the p90/Klon used together, so was getting curious if the Klon Was better Suited for hb or sc pu’s🤔
Do you use it as a clean boost or...?
Best regards
Torben

Hi Torben,

no sound clips, I'm afraid...to be quite honest, a lot of the Klon to me is the feel under the strings, and that has never been captured in any YouTube clip, and I've watched so many of them online. It seems like every YouTube guy has done a "shoot-out", and they never really tell me anything. :couch

One thing to also mention is that the Klon is at it's best as a clean-is boost/light OD round 7-11 o clock on the gain and around 11 o' clock on the Tone knob, pushing an amp that is breaking up a bit (Volume set to control the amount of gain the amp will produce)...so to get the best out of it you really should play it like that IMO.

As a straight ahead overdrive, it is mid-humpy once you wind the gain up and it's nothing to write home about. I'd rather play a Timmy (or a BJFE of my choice, depending on the amp I am using) for that.

:jim

Aloha_Ark

A P90 Junior with an inherent crunch tone may not benefit that much from an original gold or silver Klon Centaur. For that type of Jr, you might be better off with a Maxon Apex 808 or Way Huge Overrated Special or Double Overland Special. These are the pedals I use with a DC 1959 Gibson LP Jr.

The P90's where the Klon is effective are guitars that seem to have two pickups, such as the mid-50's Goldtops and LP Specials. These have a clean tone, and their harmonics benefit from a small amount of gain.

As the guitars head into the modern era, the Klon can impart a beautiful, rounded tone to a guitar that is just a 9/10 (that's a contender, not a beauty contest finalist). This magic happened with a 2003 Gibson LP Goldtop with P90's and a Braz board. When a pedal can help a guitar move up a notch in tonality, it is a gift you accept gratefully.

All the hand made Klon Centaurs are ridiculously priced. A check of recent listings on ebay shows them selling for 2 - 3 thousand US dollars.