• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Strap Advice wide or narrow size?

Asyntek

I had the idea that a Les Paul needed a wider guitar strap. But Slash and Joe Perry use straps less than 1” wide, without shoulder pad. Have your tried those? How comfortable they are? Please share your experience.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
A lot depends on the weight of the guitar. My old boat-anchor Norlin Les Paul Custom sure feels a lot better with a wide strap to distribute the weight a bit. For a lighter Les Paul, a thinner strap might do the job fine.

Señor Verde

I'm a relatively big guy and narrower straps seem to cut into my shoulder a bit. I use 3" straps for everything but my lightest guitars. Santana and Dickey Betts use very wide straps. Whatever is comfortable for you is cool, although it would be nice if I weren't so picky myself...

jrgtr42

There's no one answer for everyone. As others mentioned, the weight of the guitar is a big factor, but also your shoulder / back etc.
Just experiment with different ones to find out what you like.
Personally I have a few of the 1" with shoulder pad on different guitars, (LP Std, SG and Strat) I also have 2.5 or 3" straps on other ones, depending.
For me, the wider ones distribute the weight, but too wide cuts into and chafes my neck.

garywright

most of my straps are 3” with the exception of a couple narrower Ace repros

Texas Blues

A fat strap will always be more comfortable than a thin one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c93-UdPz1BI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

metropolis

I use wider and specifically leather or suede rather than the car seat belt material most basic straps come with because it digs into my shoulder less. I also use suede straps on any unbalanced guitars (e.g. headstock heavy) as it stops it moving.

johnreardon

Surely the size of a strap is down to personal choice. There's no 'advice' needed, you just buy those that are comfortable on your shoulders.

renderit

I like 'em skinny, but most of my skinny ones have a shoulder thingy on them.

57Strat777

The width of my guitar straps are directly proportionate to the weight of the guitar. Any guitar over 8.5 lbs gets a 3 inch strap. Under 8.5 lbs it gets a 2 inch strap.

Midnight Blues

It really depends on what's comfortable for you, but I've always used 2" - 2.5" straps like these (no affiliation):

J10698000000000-00-1000x1000.jpg

gbrvsuniygzb04zqxvmf.jpg

If using one like the Italia strap, I always have the thin end on the top screw.