• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Epiphone "Inspired by 55" LP Custom

Patrick Ginnaty

I've been looking for the "right" backup to my '98 R8 to take to gigs. My first real guitar was an Epi Olympc (MM), so I'm aware that they made some great guitars.
I started reading about the limited "Inspired by 55" Customs... fat 'C' neck, all mahogany body, real Ebony fretboard, Gibson USA P-90s, and started looking for one to try. I bought this last week used, it's very articulate, plays great, and the neck is very similar to the R8. And it looks very cool, I like it far better than I anticipated...
79388920_10222078842498501_6840988168766917190_o.jpg

jrgtr42

I've been looking for the "right" backup to my '98 R8 to take to gigs. My first real guitar was an Epi Olympc (MM), so I'm aware that they made some great guitars.
I started reading about the limited "Inspired by 55" Customs... fat 'C' neck, all mahogany body, real Ebony fretboard, Gibson USA P-90s, and started looking for one to try. I bought this last week used, it's very articulate, plays great, and the neck is very similar to the R8. And it looks very cool, I like it far better than I anticipated...
79388920_10222078842498501_6840988168766917190_o.jpg

Nice. Is it a plain ol' P-90 in the neck or a staple Alnico?
I've had a hankering for a '54/ '55 Custom with the Alnico's for a while... Guess it would be easy to swap out if need be...
(ah, the days when I avoided work by selling guitars for a living - couldn't give those things away. If I knew then what I know now...)

au_rick

Nice. Is it a plain ol' P-90 in the neck or a staple Alnico?
I've had a hankering for a '54/ '55 Custom with the Alnico's for a while... Guess it would be easy to swap out if need be...
(ah, the days when I avoided work by selling guitars for a living - couldn't give those things away. If I knew then what I know now...)

+1 Looks nice :salude

greg-delta

Les Paul Froum Member
I just cannot stand the epiphone headstock...not only is it gross, but gibson just seems hard-headedly committed to not putting the gibson headstock on, almost out of spite, and I hate it

Great guitar though, I've always wanted one (not the epiphone lol)

zacknorton

Love that guitar. if they put the "new" kalamazoo headstock on that... I'll be FORCED to buy one.

au_rick

I just cannot stand the epiphone headstock...not only is it gross, but gibson just seems hard-headedly committed to not putting the gibson headstock on, almost out of spite, and I hate it

Great guitar though, I've always wanted one (not the epiphone lol)

I think that if they put the Gibson headstock on Epiphone's they would sell a lot more Epi's and a lot less Gibsons ?

greg-delta

Les Paul Froum Member
I think that if they put the Gibson headstock on Epiphone's they would sell a lot more Epi's and a lot less Gibsons ?

much like pretty much every other marketing decision/idea gibson has, that is untrue and frankly makes no fucking sense lol

the headstock shape should not impact price. An epiphone can still cost whatever they cost with a non-ugly headstock and Gibson wouldn't lost marketshare to overseas replica makers

Patrick Ginnaty

The Epi headstock doesn't affect me either way. It's very fun to play, and it sounds great. Relatively light weight at roughly 8 1/2 lbs.

rockabilly69

I'm sure a lot of people buy things for looks, so yes the Gibson style head-stock would probably more buyers, but it would still say Epiphone on it. I wonder if Gibson does that because people would put Gibson overlays on them without having to mod the headstock, or something like this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/59-Gibson-...560075?hash=item1a7b0c670b:g:eGMAAOSwqU9cyMii