• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nitro Finish Issues

Aloha_Ark

! I ordered a can of Color Tone Naphtha to try.

Tell us how this works out.

There is a youtuber in Europe who recommends scraping (at least on fret binding). Depending on how deep the discoloration has penetrated, this may or may not help. First, it will remove whatever lacquer is on the binding, so this is a solution of last resort. I would contact the guitar maker beforehand. Also, go to the luthiers section of this forum and cross-reference your post so an expert can examine the recommendations.

The last step of the cleaning process is polishing with Micro-Mesh Soft Pads (can be ordered from Stew Mac and elsewhere). This requires extreme care near the painted body of the guitar. You only want to polish the binding.

Big Al

Maybe I am from another planet but yes this did kind of happen simultaneously as I recall and I have been playing both guitars for over a year always at the ready on a guitar stand protected with cloth of course but about a month ago I polished the Ebony Classic with Virtuoso polish and did not play it for a week or so just the Heritage Cherry then started alternating between the two so no I am thinking my skin reacted with the polish from the black and contaminated the Heritage Cherry now at least both burn spots are identical so and I may be reaching here being from another planet the burs are just how hot the guityar was getting while I was playing. Ha! Ha! either way in forty years of trying to play guitar I have worn out a few and have a 1989 Alveraz DY-45 that has serious Mojo but this is a firrst for me like I said maybe I am just finally getting hot playing. LOL! I ordered a can of Color Tone Naphtha to try. When you shine a light on the area the white discoloed area looks purple and the dark area on the face you can't see on the Ebony unless you shine a light directly on it and looks just like the half moon as the Heritage Cherry.

Virtuoso won't do that, it is very safe. What worries me is if the effect has melted into the finish, or better, is only a surface top of finish effect. I once rubbed off the entire yellowed top coat of an awful pea soup 63 Strat to reveal the baby blue true color. You have to rub out small 3-4 inch areas, and it is hard work. However, imo, safer than scraping.

This had to be from your sleeve or a shirt or coat, or as I said, something in direct contact with that area only. That it was a sudden simultaneous event points to some active chemical agent introduced at the time of the event. I hope you can find out. I hope it can be corrected.

Last edited:

usb777

Virtuoso won't do that, it is very safe. What worries me is if the effect has melted into the finish, or better, is only a surface top of finish effect. I once rubbed of the entire yellowed top coat of an awful pea soup 63 Strat to reveal the baby blue true color. You have to rub out small 3-4 inch areas, and it is hard work. However, imo, safer than scraping.

This had to be from your sleeve or a shirt or coat, or as I said, something in direct contact with that area only. That it was a sudden simultaneous event points to some active chemical agent introduced at the time of the event. I hope you can find out. I hope it can be corrected.

Thanks I just can't pinpoint what caused it. The same darked area on both guitars noticed at the same time. No long sleeve shirt no strap. Guitars sit out on a stand never in a case. The shape and size and discolorization is almost identical on both guitars. I am really careful and take great care of all my guitars ask my wife. Just received my new Fender Champion Amp so it is helping me get over the shock of this issue. I am really open to ideas I do not want it to get worse or happen again.

Billy Porter

Just thinking off-ball here but...……

I once had an issue with some duvet and bed sheets. The blue dye in them stained parts of my skin during the nights but not my wife giving my arms a blueish tinge. Several washes later it was still doing it although lighter so in the bin it they went. I had a similar experience with a shirt (made in India just for the record) in my early 20s. As I have a very pale skin (Scottish tan:dang) it showed up very clearly.

If unlike me you have darkish skin tone there could be a source of dye from something you're not wearing when actually playing the guitar

Just a though

Big Al - no I'm not an Alien

Big Al

Just thinking off-ball here but...……

I once had an issue with some duvet and bed sheets. The blue dye in them stained parts of my skin during the nights but not my wife giving my arms a blueish tinge. Several washes later it was still doing it although lighter so in the bin it they went. I had a similar experience with a shirt (made in India just for the record) in my early 20s. As I have a very pale skin (Scottish tan:dang) it showed up very clearly.

If unlike me you have darkish skin tone there could be a source of dye from something you're not wearing when actually playing the guitar

Just a though

Big Al - no I'm not an Alien

I do believe, Billy, that pale blue Scottish folks are indeed extracted from an extraterrestrial ancestral stock ment to bedevil the baajeepers outta the English. Only space invaders would willingly consume haggis.

usb777

I believe my wife figured out the mystery of the stains. I just recently bought a new office chair and as you can see from the pictures how I sit a play guitar the black arm rest I bet I pick up chemicals from the imitation leather arm rest on my arm and contaminated the guitar finish. Lesson learned maybe help someone else to be careful. Must say now have a very unique Mojo on both guitars.

Guitar Stains 018.jpgGuitar Stains 019.jpgGuitar Stains 010.jpgGuitar Stains 012.jpg

usb777

I believe my wife figured out the mystery of the stains. I just recently bought a new office chair and as you can see from the pictures how I sit a play guitar the black arm rest I bet I pick up chemicals from the imitation leather arm rest on my arm and contaminated the guitar finish. Lesson learned maybe help someone else to be careful. Must say now have a very unique Mojo on both guitars.

View attachment 11717View attachment 11718View attachment 11719View attachment 11720

I started this post but need more help, New chair arm contact transfered chemical from my arm the my two Les Paul guitars. Using Virtuoso Cleaner I was able to remove most of the stain from the binding but like a dummy I got into a rush and went to deep on one eating into the nitro down to the wood. What is the best way now to fix it? Might I get a can of Nitro-Lacquer from Stew-Mack and touch it up then buff it out?. See pictures before and after. Still working on the Heritage Cherry. Going to be more careful.

Guitar Stains 022.jpg Guitar Stains 027.jpg

El Gringo

I started this post but need more help, New chair arm contact transfered chemical from my arm the my two Les Paul guitars. Using Virtuoso Cleaner I was able to remove most of the stain from the binding but like a dummy I got into a rush and went to deep on one eating into the nitro down to the wood. What is the best way now to fix it? Might I get a can of Nitro-Lacquer from Stew-Mack and touch it up then buff it out?. See pictures before and after. Still working on the Heritage Cherry. Going to be more careful.

View attachment 11750 View attachment 11751

This is going to sound dumb , but what about a clean pencil eraser ? It might work on the Heritage Cherry Burst ? That way you avoid what happened to the Black Les Paul . Nitro from Stew Mack is good stuff , but at the same time you are going down in the hole and just from my own perspective it's like you fix one thing and then open the can of worms with the unintended consequence of starting another issue ? Such as trying to cover the first spot and then blending the Nitro with the factory finish . I am not saying it can't be done . Also stop using that black chair , for me at home nothing is more comfortable than the couch , that way you touch soft fabric ( if it's not a leather couch , which I wouldn't lean it on leather as that might cause a reaction )

El Gringo

View attachment 11750 View attachment 11751

Also look at your third image going left to right , where you have a soft cloth on the bottom of the guitar stand . Same idea of when you are playing as I would not use that chair with the arms as that is the place of contact to avoid . At home I play sitting on a couch which has soft fabric , not leather as I think there would be some kind of reaction as well . Not trying to harp on you , just to inform so as for you to avoid what's happened .

usb777

Oh yes, I wraped the arms of the chair with saran wrap, a cotton sock and the draped a polishing cloth over tharm. Tried the pencil eraser didn't help. Got on line found a Luther here in Reno has his own guirar repair shop, used to work Gigson in their factory! No more DIY and spend more time practicing God knows I need it. Check out his shop. Lucky me.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiEs4uExL7qAhUCqZ4KHYrFAiMQoiowE3oECBIQBg

Big Al

Oh yes, I wraped the arms of the chair with saran wrap, a cotton sock and the draped a polishing cloth over tharm. Tried the pencil eraser didn't help. Got on line found a Luther here in Reno has his own guirar repair shop, used to work Gigson in their factory! No more DIY and spend more time practicing God knows I need it. Check out his shop. Lucky me.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiEs4uExL7qAhUCqZ4KHYrFAiMQoiowE3oECBIQBg

RENO!!!

I played a gazillion gigs in Reno in the late 70's. Great scene and awesome venues. The clubs were just great and the houses were packed full. Several big showcase clubs and for a big little city, Reno rocked like L.A.!! What a time to be a working pro. My band was featured on KOZZ FM's first Homegrown Album when we won their Northern Nevada/California Battle of the Bands!!

Such good times. That was gigging. We played 4 hour long sets, 4-5 nites a week all over N. Nevada and Cali. Nothing like it now, and I miss it. I wonder if any of it still exist?

brandtkronholm

My band was featured on KOZZ FM's first Homegrown Album ... I wonder if any of it still exist?

Three seconds of internet later... Is this it?

https://thecorroseum.org/comps/kozz105homegrown.html

kozz105homeg-front.jpg

kozz105homeg-back.jpg

usb777

Not as much as the 70's and 80's and now with this Pandemic is isn't as hopping as it used to be. Ah "The Good Old Days!"