• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can't they do a vintage blonde right out of the gate?

Minibucker

I think my 'ideal' neck for a 335 would probably be a rounded or even soft V, like .89" to 1.0".

goldtop0

Yes a V neck would be ideal but I don't see those on Gibson electrics at all unfortunately.

Minibucker

Yes a V neck would be ideal but I don't see those on Gibson electrics at all unfortunately.
Contemplating sending my R8 to HM. There's plenty of neck wood to work with. For what I got the guitar for + HM Standard package, would essentially be as much as an R9, less these days....and I'd have a better finish.

goldtop0

Contemplating sending my R8 to HM. There's plenty of neck wood to work with. For what I got the guitar for + HM Standard package, would essentially be as much as an R9, less these days....and I'd have a better finish.

Yep just do it............HM are good.
Have discussed with Kim the refinishing of my current 335.......he leaves no stone unturned when it comes to explaining this and that.........excellent bloke.

Minibucker

Yep just do it............HM are good.
Have discussed with Kim the refinishing of my current 335.......he leaves no stone unturned when it comes to explaining this and that.........excellent bloke.
Probably going to. Because if I were to replace this with something else, I'd maybe start looking for other R9's and I'd be pushing it as to what I could spend, which would narrow my choices and it'd still be hit-and-hope. Whereas with HM:

- I'm starting off with a guitar that has characteristics I already like in terms of how it resonates
- it's already a 2013 so it has the hide glue and no truss rod condom
- when it's finished it will have an ideal neck shape and a perfect burst covered in the right lacquer
- It will still be less combined that what I'd get most R9's for these days unless I was looking for a real bargain, and again I'd be limited on features and finishes.

So altogether it makes a lot more sense, and I don't want to sell and settle for a USA Standard which even though costs less it feels like a toy in comparison.

goldtop0

Probably going to. Because if I were to replace this with something else, I'd maybe start looking for other R9's and I'd be pushing it as to what I could spend, which would narrow my choices and it'd still be hit-and-hope. Whereas with HM:

- I'm starting off with a guitar that has characteristics I already like in terms of how it resonates
- it's already a 2013 so it has the hide glue and no truss rod condom
- when it's finished it will have an ideal neck shape and a perfect burst covered in the right lacquer
- It will still be less combined that what I'd get most R9's for these days unless I was looking for a real bargain, and again I'd be limited on features and finishes.

So altogether it makes a lot more sense, and I don't want to sell and settle for a USA Standard which even though costs less it feels like a toy in comparison.

Similar position to me looking at the M2M and if that doesn't come to fruition off mine will go to HM for a respray.........then she'll be a keeper for the rest of my life.

Minibucker

Similar position to me looking at the M2M and if that doesn't come to fruition off mine will go to HM for a respray.........then she'll be a keeper for the rest of my life.
Life's too short right? If there's a way to get it tailored just right and it's within reach......

goldtop0

Life's too short right? If there's a way to get it tailored just right and it's within reach......

Yes it's within reach........ with the variables being.......will CS actually do the neck to my specs.. and.. without an upcharge??. It's supposed to be a M2M but you never know as they just don't do 'big' necks anymore.
My spec for it came from one of the forum members who has had big necked M2Ms done in the past and has one currently in the pipeline, so CS have the template as it were, we'll see.

OKGuitar

This will give you a pretty good idea of where the blondes started out and where they end up after 60 years in smoky bars.
This is a well ambered 60 that started out much lighter.
60fade-e1594232375430.jpg

Minibucker

Great pic, and thanks for chiming in. I love your site and all the info I've been able to enjoy over the years.

Yeah, can really see the ambering. But still, even the 'lighter' parts have that kind of golden depth, whereas more recent ones in comparison look more like something out of a lumber yard....or like there's a thin layer of skim milk under the finish.

EdmundGTP

Great pic, and thanks for chiming in. I love your site and all the info I've been able to enjoy over the years.

Yeah, can really see the ambering. But still, even the 'lighter' parts have that kind of golden depth, whereas more recent ones in comparison look more like something out of a lumber yard....or like there's a thin layer of skim milk under the finish.

Some of them are so pale, they almost look like the top got a thin layer of white washing before the lacquer got laid down. Few long sessions in a tanning bed might help?