• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help verifying a 1964 ES-345

grantgreen

Hi all,

I'm considering making an offer on a 1964 ES-345 player that's got plenty of issues but plays great. I went and saw it yesterday and two items are concerning me.

1) there's a feint rectangle behind the logo -- I know the peghead has been refinished front and back, but is this rectangle normal? Any chance it's a fake?

2) the truss rod cavity looks perfectly squared off; were they like this in 1964? I'm a little suspicious.

Please only respond if you have enough 1st-hand experience with pre-1965 Gibsons to know what you're talking about. Thanks for your input.

0-Logo-1.jpg
1-Truss-Rod-1.jpg
1-Truss-Rod-4.jpg

brandtkronholm

1) there's a feint rectangle behind the logo -- I know the peghead has been refinished front and back, but is this rectangle normal? Any chance it's a fake?

If the peghead (headstock) has been refinished - front and back - then determining the authenticity of the instrument by pictures of the headstock alone is near impossible.
The rectangle is sometimes visible on non-refinished Gibsons. On refinished Gibsons I'd be suspicious if it wasn't visible, but all bets are off.

I will say that the shape of "open book" or "mustache" at the very top of the headstock (first picture) looks a little flat...but that's a judgment based on one picture. Post many more pictures of the guitar and we can offer our arm-chair quarterback (but well informed) opinions.

2) the truss rod cavity looks perfectly squared off; were they like this in 1964? I'm a little suspicious.

Again, if the headstock has been refinished, then anything is possible.

Please only respond if you have enough 1st-hand experience with pre-1965 Gibsons to know what you're talking about. Thanks for your input.

Good luck with that!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
I own an original ES-345 from 1964. your truss rod cavity looks just like mine, except my guitar has more play wear, I thinks your headstock was refinished as previously suggested. Mine has it's original finish, and doesn't show the rectangle around the inlay, but I have seen it on some refinished examples.

Last edited:

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
BTW, ES-345s are great guitars! I got mine last year, and the honeymoon doesn't show any signs of waning. My "forever" guitar.

akstrat61

Funny, I too am working on purchasing a '64 345 in original, but players condition. Anyone mind commentling on an acceptable price these days?:dude:

wmachine

I have a Reissue '64 ES-345 TDC (Maestro, VOS), a 2016 model. It is fabulous IMO. I know the reissues of this era are considered to be really good. But I'm wondering if anyone has made any direct comparisons of this and real '64 345s. I know of and understand the differences in the electronics, but I mean otherwise.
Direct comparisons are probably hard to come by as they supposed made only 60 of these reissues for "worldwide distribution". I know there were other reissue '64 345 TDC models (sans Maestro) in 2014 and 2015, though.

irishbog

Funny, I too am working on purchasing a '64 345 in original, but players condition. Anyone mind commentling on an acceptable price these days?:dude:

My amateur guess would be that 64 players grade 345 would be maybe about 12-14K?
I visited Charlie at OK guitars a while back and he had one in that price range. It's gone now though

garywright

deleted ..just realized the OP already knew it’s been refinned

Last edited:

marshall1987

The serial numbers (headstock & orange label) should suffice to identify a '64 ES-345. I understand there is no ambiguity with Gibson serial numbers until 1965.