• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Brazilian Rosewood Board in 2003??

Hey Guys
Does anyone know whether and on what guitars Gibson used Brazilian Rosewood on the fretboards?
I hear a lot of sellers claiming the board might be brazilian etc. Does anyone know for sure?
I am looking at an R4 or R6 and I kept seeing references to BRAZ boards. Sellers saying things like
"verified" or "certified". How would anyone know? Thanks.

Brek

Hey Guys
Does anyone know whether and on what guitars Gibson used Brazilian Rosewood on the fretboards?
I hear a lot of sellers claiming the board might be brazilian etc. Does anyone know for sure?
I am looking at an R4 or R6 and I kept seeing references to BRAZ boards. Sellers saying things like
"verified" or "certified". How would anyone know? Thanks.
Ask the seller to send full back and front pic, same again for headstock only and send it to Gibson customer services, they will reply with the specs of that particular model. Mostly BS from sellers trying to catch the gullible saying ‘it looks like’.

Last edited:
Ask the seller to send full back and front pic, same again for headstock only and send it to Gibson customer services, hey will reply with the specs of that particular model. Mostly BS from sellers trying to catch the gullible saying ‘it looks like’.
Thank you.

goldtop0

I've got a 2005 Gibson reference report here that states the highest serial# for each model year in 2003 and 2001 braz board LPs.
R4 is 4 3150 and R6 is 6 3148

axeman565758

This question has come up 8 billion times.
Heres' the bottom line. Gibson has a serial number list ( as mentioned above, see The Music Zoo's guide, plus various threads/posts on here). If your serial number IS NOT on that list, you don't have a braz board. OK OK hold on...I know what you're going to say. My guitar's serial # is near that serial number range and it looks, smells and tastes like braz. That's always going to be an argument that can't possibly be settled. Unless Gibson verifies the serial, for the sake of this exercise, it's not BRW.!!

PeteNJ75

This question has come up 8 billion times.
Heres' the bottom line. Gibson has a serial number list ( as mentioned above, see The Music Zoo's guide, plus various threads/posts on here). If your serial number IS NOT on that list, you don't have a braz board. OK OK hold on...I know what you're going to say. My guitar's serial # is near that serial number range and it looks, smells and tastes like braz. That's always going to be an argument that can't possibly be settled. Unless Gibson verifies the serial, for the sake of this exercise, it's not BRW.!!

Totally agree.

DvnLesPaul

All Access/Backstage Pass
Yup.
"1959 Reissue, ranging from 93001-93674"
I bought an R9 with #9367x from Marks in '05, that is outside the range. So, pretty much as close as you can possibly get.
While I certainly have my own personal suspicious, I love it for what it is, and would probably sell a kidney before parting with it anyway.

Brek

On that list on this very forum, someone has added an addendum that all 2003 goldtops are braz, where did that info come from?

El Gringo

On the Music Zoo list ( which i trust ) there is no mention of that . I wonder if the certificate of authenticity , for example like the 2018 run had it written in the booklet that came with the guitar , I wonder if the 2002-2003 run had this also ?

PeteNJ75

On the Music Zoo list ( which i trust ) there is no mention of that . I wonder if the certificate of authenticity , for example like the 2018 run had it written in the booklet that came with the guitar , I wonder if the 2002-2003 run had this also ?

I have a 2003 R7 Brazilian that I bought new when they were released and they had no certificate or anything else stating they were Brazilian, unlike the 2018s that came with the special COA. But Gibson has confirmed the serial numbers listed on the Music Zoo site.

Also I’ve never heard that all R7s were Braz in 2003. Never heard that one before.

Brek

I have a 2003 R7 Brazilian that I bought new when they were released and they had no certificate or anything else stating they were Brazilian, unlike the 2018s that came with the special COA. But Gibson has confirmed the serial numbers listed on the Music Zoo site.

Also I’ve never heard that all R7s were Braz in 2003. Never heard that one before.
It’s mentioned in this post.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?85771-brazilian-serial-numbers#post_967574

but I think I have sussed out though, re the one post I cannot find, based on below, because the R6 serial is not shared with out models there are no gaps in the R6 run of other models. It was quoted in the thread I saw without stating the 148 in just said all r6’s that year were.... it should have stated all 148 were.....

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...r-History-of-the-Historic-Les-Paul-Collection

so solved.

PeteNJ75

It’s mentioned in this post.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?85771-brazilian-serial-numbers#post_967574

but I think I have sussed out though, re the one post I cannot find, based on below, because the R6 serial is not shared with out models there are no gaps in the R6 run of other models. It was quoted in the thread I saw without stating the 148 in just said all r6’s that year were.... it should have stated all 148 were.....

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...r-History-of-the-Historic-Les-Paul-Collection

so solved.

I’m a bit confused. I see no mentions of all R7s being all Brazilians in that post, they seem to be talking exclusively about R4s and R9s. And then in your next paragraph you are talking about R6s... so I’m not sure I follow you at all, but if you say it’s solved, I take your word for it!

Brek

I’m a bit confused. I see no mentions of all R7s being all Brazilians in that post, they seem to be talking exclusively about R4s and R9s. And then in your next paragraph you are talking about R6s... so I’m not sure I follow you at all, but if you say it’s solved, I take your word for it!

my r6 query has been, no idea about any r7 i was not discussing them. I have worked out is this: someone used the phrase all R6 were brazilian, without qualifying the serial numbers concerned, so it read like all produced that year were brazilian, when it should have stated that the serial number run 6 3001-148 were not shared with other models so they are all Brazilian. :spabout