• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What year Les Paul Standard am I looking for?

NGJohn

I've wanted to get an LP Standard Gold Top for a while, but I'm looking for a specific set of features:

Slim neck, i.e., no 50s chunk
No splitters
No weight relief
Humbuckers

I would consider throwing out the "no weight relief" requirement if it has everything else I noted, but it has to be a Standard and it has to be a Gold Top.

What years am I looking for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ilikeguitars

I guess you could go with a 2015 Golden Pearl.

It doesn’t have any of the “2015” features. It is a standard. No weight relief. But the gold is a little different than a normal goldtop. Better color imo. It probably has coil taps or something you’d have to change. Has gold hardware too.

edit: it has the slim neck too I believe.

NGJohn

I guess you could go with a 2015 Golden Pearl.

It doesn’t have any of the “2015” features. It is a standard. No weight relief. But the gold is a little different than a normal goldtop. Better color imo. It probably has coil taps or something you’d have to change. Has gold hardware too.

edit: it has the slim neck too I believe.

Interesting suggestion--thanks!

metropolis

I think I have what you want but sadly it's not stock. It's a 1989 Standard, weighs a ton and has a slimmer neck, but it started life with P100s and was routed out. I don't believe Standards in that year were made in gold, but it might be worth looking around at early 90s standards and seeing if any fit the bill as although I believe they all have weight relief going back to the early 80s it's minimal and you wouldn't know from holding it!

NGJohn

I think I have what you want but sadly it's not stock. It's a 1989 Standard, weighs a ton and has a slimmer neck, but it started life with P100s and was routed out. I don't believe Standards in that year were made in gold, but it might be worth looking around at early 90s standards and seeing if any fit the bill as although I believe they all have weight relief going back to the early 80s it's minimal and you wouldn't know from holding it!

Thanks. I'll see what's out there in those years, but I'm starting to think that this may be a bit of a wild goose chase. It's okay; I have my Tribute to keep me company in the meantime. :)

Hamerfan

R0 with Goldtop. I know, but a R0 is the reissue of a 1960 Standard, though a bit pricey and rarer than hen's teeth, i am afraid.

Last edited:

Michael Segui

Except he said a standard without weight relief.

I have a 1999 goldtop 1960 Classic. It doesn’t have weight relief.

They were more money at the time than Standards.

It ticks off all of the OP’s boxes. After a few tweaks it’s better than any non custom shop LP I’ve ever played.