• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

This Les Paul Custom has features of 68'-70'. Can anyone pin the exact year?

Dlmlong

My husband and I bought this guitar in 2001 from a local pawn shop. We live in a city that is known for live music every night so there are many guitars in pawn shops. This guitar was advertised as a 1964' Les Paul Gibson. However, after we purchased it, I researched and found out they didn't make this guitar in that year AND Gibson used recycled serial numbers at this time. I found out many people date them by the different features found on the guitar. I know some also say to look at the pots for dates. I was just wondering if anybody with knowledge and experience could give their input as to what they think the year it was made as knowing the year can make a difference of the value.

The serial number is 176909 or 176009. As you can see, someone had changed the tuning pegs to Schlagg and the Schlagg pegs say "Made in West Germany" so they did this in the 70s or 80s. I heard that does not effect the value much as this was popular thing to do. I also want to note that whoever changed the tuning pegs had it professionally done as you can not see the holes left by the original ones. Hopefully I added the images correctly. If not I have copied the URL in this text. I'm sorry I am new to this. https://imgur.com/a/iJgklVn

iJgklVn

latestarter

zEGMQWG.jpg

If the pots are original then they're probably a good please to look, but this does have all the characteristics of a very early 70's (as in, 1970/71/72) Les Paul Custom. Volute, Gibson logo, multi piece neck etc. It would have probably had waffle back tuners, before the Schallers were fitted. Nice looking guitar.

AJCR

Not features of 68-70 there.
Obviously the volute (size mainly) , the logo, the headstock shape and the split diamond inlay all point toward later in the first half of the 70's.
The 100,000's serial number range are used in every year from 70-75, so that is no help.
The fact that there are schallers installed with what look like no holes for the 'original' klusons either point toward a refin and fill, or a guitar made in the latter era of the period when these were stock.

Post some pics of the neck pickup rout, the Trussrod cavity without the cover on, and the electrics cavity. The pots should have a code starting with 137.....the next digits being MM/YY for manufacture date. This will be a better determinant for age.