• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I have a question

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
What are some of the best jazz albums of all time?

In what genre? Prior to the arrival of the Beatles, jazz was the popular music of America, and encompasses everything from the swing bands of Benny Goodman to the bebop of Dizzy Gillespie. Look at all the sub-genres of jazz that Miles Davis explored: bop, cool jazz, the sophisticated orchestral arrangements of Gil Evans on his albums Porgy and Bess and Sketches of Spain, to the modal jazz of Kind of Blue, to jazz rock fusion on Bitches Brew and the much more accessible Jack Johnson.

(And incidentally, all of those albums would qualify as some of the best jazz albums of all time. But starting with the dissonance of Bitches Brew might be diving into the deep end a bit too soon.)

Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
ED is absolutely right. If you have spotify or apple music or even pandora then just start experimenting to see what trips yer trigger.
This is a good but very broad list: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/erikfish/best_jazz_albums_of_all_time___22_lists_combined/

That's a great list. The only person on that list I couldn't handle is Ornette Coleman. I borrowed The Shape of Jazz to Come from the college library's record collection, and just went :bigal

But this stuff is quite personal. I found Coltrane's Love Supreme to be a knockout, played it to the second guitarist in my college rock group, and he hated it -- saying something like, "This is music for mass murderers to listen to." :hee

mikesr1963

Everyone has an opinion on this so here's mine. There are 4 superior jazz albums and they are:

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come

fakejake

My recommendation would be almost anything by John Coltrane, Chet Baker, Bud Powell, Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, plus Miles Davis up to the late 60ies.

LeonC

I agree with others who've pointed out that jazz is a huge label that covers a great deal of territory. That said, here are some of my personal favorites.

- Everyone Likes Hampton Hawes
- Red Clay - Freddie Hubbard
- Midnight Blue - Kenny Burrell
- Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
- Triple Treat - Monty Alexander (with Herb Ellis and Ray Brown)
- Jazz Samba - Charlie Byrd

Enjoy!

ourmaninthenorth

Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings - Richard Cook & Brian Morton.

https://images.app.goo.gl/SwwHWt4Pbt3D7jdc8

wUjsfk3Jc4GGQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

wUjsfk3Jc4GGQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Z
Z

Z

Z

Start on page 1...don't worry if you don't like any of it...there's another 1600 pages to go at.

Then you can decide what's best.

I asked the same question 40 years ago, still haven't found the answer, but I did find a lifetime of the greatest music ever to have hit my ears.

:salude:salude

gakees

Joe Pass - Intercontinental or anything by Joe Pass for that matter.